The 2008 Leadership and Involvement Awards Ceremony, presented by the Office of Student Activities and Leadership, recently took place in Coastal Carolina University's Wheelwright Auditorium to honor the accomplishments of people who give their time, talent and energy to make CCU's campus a lively, stimulating place to live, work and study.
More than 40 CCU students, organizations, faculty and staff members were recognized and/or honored with a plaque for outstanding service and performance for the 2007-2008 school year.
The following individuals received awards:
• Rising Student Leader Award - Patrick Squire, a freshman communication major from Society Hill
• Walk-A-Mile Participation Award - The Sports and Recreation Club
• Unsung Hero Award to Faculty/Staff - Deloris "Dee" Duncan, administrative specialist of student activities and leadership
• Unsung Hero Award to Student - Katie McClure, a sophomore biology major from Van Wert, Ohio
• Senator of the Year Award - Brittany Callahan, a senior marine biology major from Potomac Falls, Va.
• Mentor of the Year Award - Titus Pressley, a senior history major from Mullins
• School-Based Mentor Award - Anthony Frye, a sophomore political science major from Charleston, and Kotaro Arms, a senior recreation and sports management major from Myrtle Beach
• Mentor Scholar Award - Guadalupe Garza-Gabriel, a junior applied mathematics major from Myrtle Beach
• The Chanticleer Spirit Award to Organization - Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity
• The Chanticleer Spirit Award to Individual - Bradley Bowen, a senior communication major from Fishers, Ind.
• Outstanding Sports Club - Men's Lacrosse Club
• Leadership Challenge Award - Da'vita Gidron, a sophomore marketing major from Orangeburg
• Leadership Challenge Rising Freshman - William Cannon, a freshman middle education major from Walterboro
• Community Service Award to Organization - Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity
• Community Service Award to Individual - Alexandra Galanis, a junior marketing major from Great Falls, Va.
• Diversity Program of the Year Award - The third Annual Fashion Show presented by Coastal Productions Board
• Outstanding Service to Residence Life, Hall Council - Alverda Childers, a freshman art studio major from Yemassee
• Outstanding Service to Residence Life, Residence Assistant - Willie Lee Jr., a senior applied mathematics major from Little River
• Omicron Delta Kappa Circle Leader of the Year - Sunni Stewart, a senior biology major from Rockview, W.Va.
• Omicron Delta Kappa Undergraduate Leader - Taylor Eubanks, a freshman political science major from Spartanburg
• Outstanding Organization Adviser - Debbie Connor, associate vice president of university relations community relations and special events
• Outstanding Organization President - Eugene Bellamy, a sophomore communication major from Conway, president of the CCU's Gospel Choir
• Bell Tower Award for Outstanding Program - Relay for Life 2007 presented by S.T.A.R.
• Stipend Leader Organization of the Year Award - The Chanticleer, student-produced newspaper
• Outstanding Organization of the Year Award - Alpha Delta Pi Sorority
• Student Leader of the Year Award - Kristin Aldridge, a junior resort tourism management major from Mechanicsville, Md.
Hall of Fame 2008 inductees were also announced at the ceremony. These students are:
• Heather E. Eurell, a junior communication major from Myrtle Beach
• Lindsay M. Fertig, a junior accounting major from Arnold, Md.
• Bogdan I. Grechka, a senior history major from Binghamton, N.Y.
• Nicole A. Kuenzel, a senior marine science major from Westminster, Colo.
• Ashton M. Williams, a senior psychology major from Wagener
• Madeleine G. Winstead, a senior marketing major from Conway