Coastal Carolina University's 2009 Leadership and Involvement Awards were presented recently by the Office of Student Activities and Leadership. More than 40 students, organizations, faculty and staff members were recognized and honored for outstanding service and performance for the 2008-2009 school year.
The following individuals/ organizations received awards:
* Student Leader of the Year -- Marianne Long, a rising senior marine science major from Rockland, Mass.
* Rising Student Leader Award -- Christina Nixon, a rising sophomore biology major from Charlotte, N.C.
* Unsung Hero Award to Faculty/Staff -- Agatha O'Brien Gayes, director of first-year academic advising and assistant? director of First-Year Experience
* Unsung Hero Award to Student -- William A. Cannon, a rising sophomore math major from Walterboro
* Chad Michael Beatty Senator of the Year Award -- Gregory Dukes, a rising junior history and English double major from South Amboy, N.J.
* Mentor of the Year Award -- Kourtni Harrelson, a rising junior elementary education major from Conway
* Most Consistent Mentor Award -- Yvette Velazquez, a rising junior sociology major from Goose Creek
* New Mentor Scholar Award -- Hunter Frye, a rising junior physical education major from Aynor
* Outstanding Sports Club of the Year -- Coastal Carolina University Baseball Club
* Pat Singleton-Young Student Advocate of the Year -- Lynn Willett, coordinator of special projects in the University Academic Center
* Community Service Award to Organization -- Refuge, a religious student organization
* Community Service Award to Individual -- Erin Gaesser, a rising senior early childhood education major, from Rochester, N.Y.
* Diversity Program of the Year Award -- Coastal Production Board for the program "Does HIV Look Like ME?"
* Outstanding Community Involvement Award -- Damien Hollar, a rising junior elementary education major from Cambridge Springs, Pa.
* Omicron Delta Kappa Circle Leader of the Year -- Tobias Banks, a rising senior biology major from Galivants Ferry
* Omicron Delta Kappa Undergraduate Leader -- Sarah Heishman, a senior marine science major from Brogue, Pa.
* Organization President of the Year -- Melinda Howard, a rising senior business management major from Conway
* Bell Tower Award for Outstanding Program -- Student Government Association (SGA), "Schools for Schools"
* Stipend Leader Organization of the Year Award -- Students Taking Active Responsibility (STAR)
* Outstanding Organization of the Year Award -- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity
* Chanticleer Hatchling Award -- Students Helping Others Reach Excellence (SHORE)
* Student Adviser of the Year -- Deana Lewis, adviser for STAR