||Allison Mitchell, left, poses with Haven Hart, dean of students, after receiving the Ronald D. Lackey Service Award.
Coastal Carolina University recently presented awards for student leadership and organizational achievement at the annual Student Involvement and Leadership Awards.
Allison Mitchell, an elementary education major from Rock Hill, was presented the 2010-2011 Ronald D. Lackey Service Award. Named in honor of the late University professor and chaplain, the award is given annually to a senior who has served the University through involvement and leadership in campus organizations.
Other awards include:
Student Government Association Awards
* SGA Legislation of the Year: Sarah Craig, a marine science major from Hampton, N.J., and Courtney Elliton, a marine science major from Huntingtown, Md., for "Sustainability Green Fund"
* SGA Rising Senator of the Year: Brandon Reilly, a political science major from Greenville, R.I.
* SGA Senator of the Year: Christopher Cochran, a history major from Myrtle Beach
* SGA Patricia Singleton-Young Award, an award given to a faculty/professional staff member who is a strong student advocate: Deborah Breede, associate professor of communication
* SGA Distinguished Professor of the Year Award: Jeffrey Case, assistant professor of visual arts
* SGA Distinguished First Year Adviser of the Year Award: Agatha O'Brien Gayes, director of Academic Advising/First Year Experience
* SGA Collegiate Adviser of the Year Award: Linda Kuykendall, instructor of communication
* Most Consistent Mentor, an award given to a student who has mentored for more than one year: Lori Ann Sircable, a history major from Myrtle Beach
* New Mentor: Ellen M. Baltz, an elementary education major from Lebanon, Conn.
* Mentor of the Year: Jonathan A. Bennett Jr., a physical education major from Myrtle Beach
* Peer Leader of the Year: Sid Watkins, a psychology major from Conway; and Melissa Sargiotto, a psychology major from Hillsborough, N.J.
* Tutor of the Year: Allison Engeseth, a political science major from Myrtle Beach; and Joshua Paul, a math major from Aynor
* Sport Club of the Year: Equestrian Club
* Leadership Challenge Member of the Year: Thomas Patrick Squire, a communication major from Silver Springs, Md.
University Housing Awards:
* Outstanding Community Involvement: Mary Grace Skidmore, an international studies major from Fort Mill
* Outstanding First Year Resident Assistant: Sam Ehinger, a marine science major from Lansdale, Pa.
Omicron Delta Kappa Awards
* Circle Leader of the Year: Bailey Devon Howard, a recreation and sports management major from Surfside Beach
* Undergraduate Leader of the Year: Courtney Elliton, an English major from Conway
* Student Affairs Division Award: Kay Keels, associate professor of management
* Outstanding Greek Organization: Pi Kappa Phi
* Outstanding Student Organization: Coastal Activities Board
* Outstanding New Student Organization: Student Artist Society
* Outstanding Community Service: Pi Kappa Phi
* Outstanding Community Service: Rotaract
* Outstanding Philanthropy: Phi Sigma Sigma
* Outstanding Philanthropy: Colleges Against Cancer
* Outstanding Greek Organization President: Carlos Jenkins, an elementary education major from Holly Hill
* Outstanding Student Organization President: Taylor Eubanks, a political science major from Lyman
* Rising Leader of the Year: Kaitlin Page, a political science major from Galivants Ferry
* Student Leader of the Year: Megan Mudron, a marine science major from Bishopville, Md.
* Individual Community Service: Sarah Burnheimer, a health promotion major from Ashburn, Va.
* Unsung Hero: Brooke Donaldson, an international studies major from Long Valley, N.J.
* Off Campus Student Engagement: Lauren Greoski, a marine science major from Baltimore, Md.
* Outstanding Student Organization Adviser: John Stamey, associate professor of computer science and information systems
* Leadership Challenge for Outstanding Diversity Program: "African American Music Through the Years"
* Outstanding Collaboration: Colleges Against Cancer and Students Taking Active Responsibility for "Relay for Life"
* Leadership Challenge for the Bell Tower Award (Program of the Year): "Tunnel of Oppression"