Kimbel Library Distance Learning Resources
Find Print and Electronic Books
To search for print or electronic books in Kimbel Library's online catalog, go to the library home page, type your keywords in the catalog search box and press enter. On the results page, view the "Limit by Format" option on the left column and choose either Book (print) or eBook. To view an eBook, click on the link underneath the title that says "Electronic Book. Click here for access." If you are not on campus you'll nbe prompted to enter a username and password before you can view the eBook. This is the same information you use to log into your Coastal email and WebAdvisor.
Kimbel Library's print books are loaned for 21 days. There is no loan limit when viewing eBooks. If you would like to borrow a book that Kimbel Library does not own, you may borrow it from another PASCAL member library.
Find Online Journals, Newspaper Articles, Reference Materials & Videos
Kimbel Library subscribes to almost 200 online databases. These databases house electronic collections of over 60,000 journals, newspapers, reference books and videos.
- Search Databases by Keyword: Databases are a great place to begin your research. To search inside the databases, go to the library home page and choose the "Databases" tab. If you know what database you'd like to search, type its name into the search box. Otherwise, choose to "Browse All Databases" (alphabetical) or "Browse by Subject." As with electronic books, you'll need to enter your Coastal username and password in order to access the databases from off-campus. You can search most databases by keyword, title and author.
- Search for Specific Journals: Sometimes when searching for research materials, you may already know the name of the journal or journal article you'd like to find. If this is the case, you'll need to determine what database to search in order to find that journal or journal article. Click here or choose the "Journals" tab above the search box on Kimbel Library's homepage to type the name of a specific journal. Once you've found the exact journal you need, you can search within it for specific articles. You'll be prompted to enter your Coastal username and password before you can view the journals. Kimbel Library also owns approximately 200 print journal subscriptions. Older, bound journals may be loaned for 21 days. Current journals are for library use only, excepting faculty who may borrow journals for one day. If you would like to view an article that Kimbel Library does not own, you may place a request through Interlibrary Loan.
- Need help? We provide the ability to chat, email or phone a librarian using our online reference service Ask a Librarian.
- Contact Ariana Baker, Distance Learning Librarian, at email@example.com or 843-349-5001.
- Please visit the Kimbel Library Tutorials page to view tutorials on a variety of topics of interest to faculty and students.
- Kimbel Library has created an instructional video series that covers basic research skills. These videos were produced in support of University 110 and Biology 122, but may be consulted for general use as well.