Art Department Guidelines and Scholarship Information
The portfolio you submit to CCU should include no less than 10 and no more than 20 pieces of artwork you have created. This number will give us enough information to make an accurate assessment of your abilities. Please do not send any more than 20 pieces. At least four of those pieces SHOULD be drawing from observation if available. Observational drawings include still life, gesture, or figure drawings, portraits, and landscapes. We encourage you to feature your strongest (most successful) pieces made in your junior/ senior year or recent past. If you have an area of concentration or specialization please feel free to showcase this in your portfolio.
Portfolio can include, but not be limited to:
• Drawings • Paintings • Prints • Photographs • Sculptures • Graphic Design • Mixed-media or found-object pieces • Computer-generated works • Illustrations • Animations (please limit time to maximum of 5 minutes) • Clay, metal, or glass objects
*Make an effort not to include work copied from published works. If you use source photos, they should NOT be used as the sole inspiration for your work.
The order in which you present your work can have a significant effect on how your portfolio is viewed; therefore we suggest you begin and end your portfolio with your strongest pieces. Keep in mind that relationships in color, media, composition, and concept can link one piece to another and help your portfolio flow in a cohesive manner.
Digital, CD or DVD Portfolio Guidelines
When you're ready to submit your portfolio, send it to us in either CD or DVD format or on a flash drive (we do not accept actual artwork of any kind). If you are unable to provide a portfolio in disc format, or if you wish to submit your portfolio online, please contact the CCU Art Office for assistance.
If submitting information on a small USB flash drive or disc, make sure this information is the only data on the submitted media - this will NOT be returned
- Label CD or DVD sleeve with your full name, home address, phone number, and email address. In case of USB drive, affix your name to drive with marker or adhesive material.
- Use a permanent marker to write your name on the disc itself. Do not stick labels on the disc.
- Format each file in JPEG (.jpg) format with maximum file sizes of 1MB each.
- Format animation or video work in either QuickTime (.mov) format or Windows Media Video (.wmv) format.
- Label images as follows: #_LAST NAME_FIRST INITIAL (i.e., 01_Smith_A)
- Assemble images clearly and / or present in a slide show format using Microsoft PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, or another slide show or PDF application.
- Include on the disc or as a hardcopy in the envelope, a Microsoft Word, or PDF document containing your name and contact information, as well as a numbered list with the title, size, medium, and a brief description of each piece.
Freshman Student Portfolio Checklist
Portfolio in CD/DVD/Flash Drive format, following the following guidelines and checklist
- 10 – 20 pieces of artwork saved in portfolio
- Document containing your contact information and image title list
- Followed CD / DVD guidelines
- Envelope addressed correctly for Visual Arts Department
- CCU Application and Scholarship information filled out and sent to the appropriate offices
Mail the disc to:
Coastal Carolina University, Visual Arts / EHFA 272, PO Box 261954, Conway, SC 29528
Note: No application items will be returned, we recommend keeping an original copy for your records.
For further info and questions please contact:
Visual Arts Department