Burroughs & Chapin Co.
Coastal Carolina University has been the recipient of many significant gifts from the Burroughs & Chapin Co., including the donation of 25 acres for the present campus in Conway. Over the years the Burroughs & Chapin Co. has donated substantive gifts of money and property to CCU, including a gift of $1.5 million for for the Burroughs & Chapin Center for Marine and Wetland Studies, as well as gifts that supported the following: the Wall College of Business and its Wall Center for Excellence, construction of Wheelwright Auditorium; the Cultural Arts Endowment, the establishment of the Burroughs Distinguished Chair in Southern History and Culture, and the visit of the Freedom Schooner Amistad to Georgetown in 2002, among others.
Founded in 1895, the company today known as Burroughs & Chapin is the largest real estate firm in the region. A leader in the timber, agricultural, mercantile and tourism industries in Horry County, the company has been a generous donor to the community throughout its history. Some of the company's notable gifts include real estate for the creation of Myrtle Beach State Park (320 acres), the Cool Spring Industrial Park (391 acres), and sites for the Myrtle Beach Convention Center, the Horry County Department of Education and the Franklin G. Burroughs-Simeon B. Chapin Art Museum.
Burroughs & Chapin Co., was recognized during Coastal Carolina University's 2010 Founders Day convocation.