George N. Magrath Sr.
George N. Magrath Sr. was born in Conway, S.C., in 1922. A graduate of The Citadel, he earned a bachelor of science degree in business administration. After graduation, Magrath served in the armed forces for three years. He then returned to Conway and entered business full-time. He served as president of the People's Federal Savings & Loans Association of Conway.
Magrath served on the board of directors of the South Carolina League of Savings Associations and as president of the South Carolina Association of Insurance Agents. He was a member of the Horry County Building Commission, a trustee of Conway Elementary School and Conway High School, past president of Conway Golf and Country Club, and an elder and trustee of Kingston Presbyterian Church. He was president of the Conway Chamber of Commerce, chairman of the board for Conway Hospital, chairman for Fripp Island Development Corporation, and a director of the South Carolina State Chamber of Commerce.
Magrath was appointed to the Horry County Higher Educational Commission in 1972, and he later chaired that body. In 1986, he was named to the Coastal Educational Foundation. As a member of both organizations, he worked for programs aimed at helping Coastal Carolina University develop and proper.
Magrath was named honorary founder of Coastal Carolina University in 1989.