Dropping a Course

Dropping a Course

Can I drop a course at the beginning of the semester without receiving a W?

Yes. If you make adjustments to your schedule during the first week of classes, there will be no academic record of the change.

How do I drop a class after free add/drop?

If we are past the first week of the semester and you are doing poorly in a course, you have the option of dropping the course.

Students admitted Fall 2023 or after may elect to withdraw from a maximum of eighteen (18) credits in their undergraduate career at Coastal Carolina University. A grade of W will be recorded on the transcript but does not factor into the GPA.

The following stipulations apply:

  • Students must formally request to withdraw from and apply the W Grade option to a course by 14 days before the last day of classes of each term as designated in the Academic Calendar. Complete the Special Permission to Enroll and/or Drop Classes Form to request the drop.
  • A student who stops attending classes without officially dropping or withdrawing will have the grade of F (U for Pass/Fail option) recorded for each course. This grade is included in all GPA calculations and credit totals.
  • Due to the 18 credit hour limit, it is recommended that students discuss any potential withdrawal with their faculty, academic advisor, and financial aid representative to consider possible alternatives and resources before deciding to withdrawal.


Students admitted prior to Fall 2023 will follow the same process, but do not have a limit on the number of withdrawals.

Check the Academic Calendar for the deadline to drop a course along with other important dates.

For more information, see the Undergraduate Catalog.

Things to be aware of if you are considering dropping a course:

  • Full-time status is 12-18 credits. If dropping a course puts you below 12 credits, you are considered a part-time student. This could impact your housing (if applicable) and financial aid awards (including loans, scholarships, grants, etc.). You should always check with these offices before dropping below full-time status.

University Housing

Financial Aid and Scholarships

  • Success in both math and science classes is critical for progress toward your science degree. If you choose to drop a math or science class, you will still be advised to retake the course during the next semester (in most cases) in order to make timely progress toward your degree.