Jeffrey Ranta, PhD
Associate Professor - Communication, Media, & Culture
Life is all about managing change."
Dr. Ranta is an associate professor whose third career is being a college professor. He started his professional work life as a Navy officer and after ten years at that job, (where he served in destroyers, aircraft carriers and Navy public affairs), he transitioned to public relations, marketing and advertising agency work. At one time a VP at the Miami office of the largest PR firm in the world and has owned his own firm twice. Brands and organizations he has represented/served include Chick-fil-A, Coca-Cola, Rubbermaid, Shoney's, Ford, Chevrolet, Honda, Dodge, Polaris and government offices of the US Departments of Energy, Transportation and most recently Health and Human Services where he assisted in increasing vaccinations uptake among the vaccine hesitant in the U.S. population. Outside interests include fishing, walking, driving his Mustang convertible and spending time with his wife, and family of grown children.
- Ph.D., University of South Carolina (2016)
- M.A., Temple University (1993)
- B.A., University of South Carolina (1986)
- Dr. Ranta started his teaching career to help students transition to the job market. Among other things, he serves as the faculty adviser for TEAL Nation Communications, a student-run agency[ the campus radio station, WCCU; and as the Department of Communication, Media, & Culture’s internship coordinator.
- Dr. Ranta lived in Japan for 2.5 years while serving in the Navy. Through a lot of hard work and ultimately some surgery, he recently lost 150 plus pounds. He has visited more than 27 countries and 48 of the 50 United States. For one summer he was embedded as a Plank Fellow at ESPN in Bristol, CT. Ranta took a team of students to broadcast play by play coverage of the Chanticleers in the 2021 Cure Bowl.
- Graduate Studies
- The First Year Experience
- Media, Self, & Society
- Introduction to Public Relations and Strategic Communication
- Brand Strategy and Advertising
- TEAL Nation Communications (CCU Agency)
- Communication Capstone: Project
- Graduate course: Public Relations
- Graduate course: Communication Leadership
- Graduate course: Communication & Media Campaigns
- Graduate course: Applied Communication Capstone
- Dr. Ranta is an author of the textbook The Student Agency: Transitioning from Student to Professional as well as other publications and presentations about student-run agencies.