Residency Forms - Coastal Carolina University
In This Section

Residency Information

Applicants and New Students - Should check their resident status and requested items related to residency via WebAdvisor. When a full residency application is required, they must complete the application and submit ALL required documentation by the first day of class for the term in which they are enrolling.

Continuing CCU Students - When requesting a change of resident classification, they must submit an application and ALL required documentation by the applicable deadline for the term in which they are requesting the change take effect; deadlines are firm. Once submitted, it is the student’s responsibility to monitor their resident application via WebAdvisor and check CCU email frequently.

CCU Residency Form for New Students

This form should be submitted as a supplement to your admissions application to be considered for in-state tuition rates. Login to your admissions application status portal and navigate to the Application Checklist section. If you see the South Carolina Residency Form link displayed under the "Forms" area, click on the form link to complete and submit this form.

Applications for a Change of Resident Classification (current students)

Note:  One or more of the following forms are in PDF format and may require the Adobe Reader plug-in for your web browser. If you do not already have this program installed on your computer, you can download it for free using the following link.

Download Adobe Reader

Dependent Students  (see definition)
Upload Residency Documentation
Independent Students  (see definition)
Upload Residency Documentation

Links to Related Information


Dependent Student - One whose predominant source of income or support is from payments from a parent, spouse, or guardian who claims the dependent person on his or her federal income tax return.  In the case of those individuals who are supported by family members who do not earn enough reportable income for taxation purposes, a dependent person can be defined as one who qualifies as a dependent or exemption on the federal income tax return of the parent, spouse, or guardian.  A dependent person is also one for whom payments are made, under court order, for child support and the cost of the dependent person's college education.  A dependent person's residency is based upon the residency of the person upon whom they are dependent.

Back to top of page

Independent Student - One in his or her majority (eighteen years of age or older) or an emancipated minor, whose predominant source of income is his or her own earnings or income from employment, investments, or payments from trusts, grants, scholarships, commercial loans, or payments made in accordance with court order.  An independent person must provide more than half of his or her support during the twelve months immediately prior to the date that classes begin for the semester for which resident status is requested.  An independent person cannot claim the domicile of another individual as their own for the purposes of establishing intent to become a South Carolina resident.  An independent person must have established his or her own domicile for twelve months prior to receiving Instate tuition and fees.  An independent person cannot be claimed as a dependent or exemption on the federal tax return of his or her parent, spouse, guardian for the year in which resident status is requested.

Back to top of page