Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
Due to the University closure related to COVID-19, the VITA Tax Service has been cancelled until further notice.
Accounting students in the E. Craig Wall Sr. College of Business Administration, in conjunction with the Internal Revenue Service's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, are offering free income tax preparation once again this year. Trained student volunteers will prepare and electronically file basic federal and state income tax returns for those earning less than $55,000 a year.
Tax returns will be completed on a first-come, first-serve basis. No appointments can be made.
For 2019 tax filing, the VITA program will open on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3-7 p.m. beginning Tuesday, Feb. 18 through Thursday, April 2 in Wall 204 in the E. Craig Wall Sr. College of Business Administration on CCU's main campus. There will be no VITA sessions during the CCU Spring Break holiday (March 9-13).
Please bring the following documents (if applicable) to have your tax returns prepared:
- Proof of identification (photo ID, for example, driver's license)
- Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents
- Birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents
- Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, 1099-G, 1099-R, etc.
- Interest income and dividend statements (Forms 1099-INT and 1099-DIV)
- Tuition statement, form 1098-T
- Bank routing number and account number for direct deposit of your refund (this information will be on your checks)
- Amounts paid for daycare and the daycare provider's name, address and social security number (or the provider's business employer identification number)
- A copy of last year's federal and state tax returns
Please note the following:
- On a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required electronic-filing forms.
- Students need to know whether they are claimed as dependents on their parents' tax returns or whether they are independent.
- If you would like to itemize your deductions, you must bring an organized, summarized list of your medical expenses (including health insurance) and charitable contributions.
- No tax returns can be started within one hour of closing time.
For more information, contact Tanya Smith at email@example.com or 843-349-5087.