Finance students study banking, investment management, capital budgeting and funds management. Finance can be called both the art and science of managing money. All areas of the economy, whether businesses, nonprofit institutions or government agencies, have financial issues to be managed. Finance can be classified into at least three categories: corporate finance, investments, and financial markets and institutions. Corporate finance is the study of how businesses acquire, spend and manage funds. Investment is the study of money management, investment strategies and policies, security analysis and portfolio composition. Financial markets and institutions represent the study of the structure and operation of the entire financial system including securities markets, government institutions, financial/banking institutions and international financial markets.
The Student Experience
- The E. Craig Wall Sr. College of Business Administration is accredited by AACSB International, the premier accrediting body for business colleges.
- There are three different finance concentrations for students in the major. Students can choose to concentrate in banking and consumer finance, financial management or wealth management.
- Students can apply for the Wall Fellows program, designed to prepare top business students for high-level careers in major U.S. and international corporations and organizations. This two-year program features internships and coursework covering specific interpersonal and communication skills, ethics, personal appearance, and business and social etiquette.
Beyond the Classroom
- Graduates of the Finance major are prepared to pursue careers such as: financial analysts, stockbrokers, investment bankers, financial planners, research analysts, financial managers and bankers.
- For students who wish to continue their education, Coastal Carolina University offers a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree, which provides instruction in accounting, finance, economics, management and marketing.
- The Finance program is recognized by the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Institute as a program that prepares students for the CFA certification exams, the most respected investment designation in the world.
Areas of Study
- Corporate Finance
- Investment Analysis
- Financial Institutions
- Business and Financial Analysis
- Financial Planning
- Portfolio Management
Wall Center for Excellence