HCHEC Perseverance Scholarship
This scholarship is awarded annually to Horry County high school graduates who plan to attend Coastal Carolina University who have persevered through hardship and/or adversity.
- Achieve a minimum 3.0 high school GPA through the junior year;
- Be an Horry County resident and have graduated from a Horry County high school accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools);
- Be admitted to Coastal Carolina University;
- Complete and submit the scholarship application to Coastal Carolina University by published deadline;
- Upload a brief essay (typed) or a video URL link describing a hardship and/or adversity you have endured and how that has impacted your life and your ability to further your education. Essays should be no more than 500 words. Videos should be limited to 2-3 minutes.
- Upload a letter of recommendation from your employer, the high school principal, teacher, coach, or guidance counselor.
Award Amount: $2,500 annually for up to four years or eight semesters (renewal criteria must be met annually). Recipients must be enrolled full-time at Coastal Carolina University.
- Be enrolled fulltime;
- Complete a minimum of 30 credits annually (includes summer terms if needed); and
- Maintain a cumulative CCU GPA of 3.0*.
* 2.5 GPA requirement for recipients admitted prior to 2021-2022.
Applications will be reviewed by the HCHEC Scholarship Committee. The number of new awards may vary annually.