**THIS APPLICATION WILL BE AVAILABLE VIA WEBADVISOR BETWEEN JANUARY 15 AND MARCH 15 (at 5pm)**
Christina L. Vaccaro Memorial Scholarship
for new and continuing students
The Christina L. Vaccaro Memorial Scholarship is an award given by the friends and family of Christina Vaccaro, a student at the William L. Spadoni College of Education at Coastal Carolina University. Christina's dream was to become a middle school math and science teacher, a dream she was unable to fulfill, as she passed away unexpectedly in October of 2008. Education was Christina's passion, and she was as committed to teaching as she was learning. An extremely dedicated student, Christina worked hard to ensure she would be able to offer her students the best education possible. In addition to being a great student, Christina was also a great person; her kindness and good nature were infinite. Though a native New Yorker, Christina fell in love with South Carolina. Over the course of the five years she lived in the area, Christina grew attached. She planned to earn her degree in education and teach locally, giving back to the place that had become her new home.
This award was created to celebrate Christina's life and her aspirations, as well as to honor a Coastal Carolina University student who possesses the same qualities and spirit that Christina embodied and who will carry out her dream of teaching.
To be eligible to apply for this scholarship, students must meet the following criteria:
- Be admitted as an undergraduate student at CCU;
- Major in Teacher Education through the William L. Spadoni College of Education;
- Entering freshmen students must present a minimum 3.5 high school GPA;
- Entering transfer students must present a minimum 3.5 cumulative collegiate GPA;
- Currently enrolled CCU students must present a minimum 3.5 cumulative CCU GPA;
- Maintain full-time status and demonstrate satisfactory degree progress; and
- Submit additional requirements described below.
Preference will be given to students majoring in Middle Level Education with an emphasis in mathematics or science.
Submit a typed personal statement addressing the following questions:
- Why have you chosen to pursue a career in Teacher Education? Include any relevant personal experiences or practice in the field.
- What are your professional goals and aspirations as an educator?
- What qualities and abilities do you possess that you believe will make you a good teacher?
- Why do you feel you are a deserving candidate for this scholarship?
Failure to submit additional requirements will constitute an incomplete application and will not be considered.