Fall 2023 Financial Aid Registration Tips and Reminders

Fall 2023 Financial Aid Registration Tips and Reminders

For federal financial aid consideration, it is not too late to complete the FAFSA for 2023-2024. To complete, you will need your 2021 tax information. Once submitted, please monitor your CCU email and Self-Service Financial Aid for updates regarding your application and eligibility. 

Did you know you can also access Financial Aid information through MyCCU? Pin the Student Financial Aid card for easy access to important financial aid links.

Federal Title IV Census Date

The federal financial aid census date for federal TIV aid recipients at Coastal Carolina University for Fall 2023 is September 5, 2023. Per federal regulations and institutional policy, students must be registered in all courses as of the term census date for eligibility, including classes in Fall II. Federal Pell Grant*, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)*, Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH)*, South Carolina Need-based Grant* and Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant (ISAG)* are awarded based on these guidelines.

  • To receive Direct Subsidized, Direct Unsubsidized and/or Direct PLUS loans, you must be enrolled in at least halftime Title IV required credit hours at the time of disbursement. Halftime for Undergraduate students is at least six (6) TIV required credit hours and for Graduate students is five (5) Title IV required credit hours.
  • Pell Grant amounts will be awarded based on the number of eligible Title IV credit hours that you are registered in as of the federal financial aid census date (SEOG, IASG, TEACH and SC Need-based also follow this guideline).* 

*specific student eligibility is determined by Financial Aid and Scholarships

Required Coursework and Federal Aid Eligibility

Your enrollment status determines your federal Title IV aid eligibility. Federal aid includes Pell, SEOG, TEACH, and IASG Grants, Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans, Direct Parent PLUS Loans, Direct Graduate PLUS Loans, and Federal Work Study (SC Need-based Grant also follows this guideline).

How is my enrollment status determined?

Almost every class you take has credit hours associated with it (for example ENG 101 = 4 credits). Check your class schedule against your My Progress in Self-Service Student Planning to verify that the classes you are taking are required for your degree program. Add the credit hours associated with your required classes to determine your enrollment status. Classes that do not fulfill core, foundation, major, or REQUIRED elective requirements within your degree program are NOT counted when determining your enrollment status for federal aid eligibility.

Will dropping a class/withdrawing from the University affect my financial aid?

You should contact Financial Aid and Scholarships if you are considering dropping a class and/or withdrawing from the University. This action could affect your current and future financial aid eligibility. Tuition/housing/meal plan refund policies may also affect your financial aid eligibility. You can view information about refund polices on the Office of Student Accounts’ webpage. If you want to completely withdraw from the University, please email withdraw@coastal.edu. Additional information on financial aid impacts regarding a complete withdrawal may be found here.

What should I do if I think one or more of my classes is NOT required?

Seek advisement immediately and take note of the last day to add/drop with no academic record. The sooner you recognize an issue, the sooner your academic advisor and a financial aid counselor can help you resolve it. Do not let a reduced financial aid package impact the start of your spring semester. You may receive additional emails from Financial Aid and Scholarships if it appears your classes are not counting so monitor your email. Check your My Progress today!

What if I plan to double major, add a minor, study abroad, get an internship, or take an experiential or graduate level course?

Because these circumstances may differ by student and degree program, consult your academic advisor and a financial aid counselor BEFORE pursuing ANY of these activities.

I am graduating in December. How does this impact my financial aid?

Click here for additional information on how your financial aid may be impacted by graduating in December.

What about my NON-federal aid?

Your enrollment status for non-federal awards, such as private loans, and external financial resources may include credits that cannot be counted in your enrollment status for federal aid eligibility (for example, additional elective credits not required by degree program). If you are unsure of your enrollment status for a particular award, please contact a financial aid counselor.

Repeat Courses and Federal Aid Eligibility

A student may only receive federal Title IV aid funds once in order to repeat a previously passed course. Subsequent repeats will not be counted towards enrollment for federal Title IV aid purposes.

Federal Title IV Aid consists of: Pell, SEOG, TEACH and IASG Grants, Direct Student Loans, PLUS Loans, and Federal Work Study.

Institutional Aid, Scholarships and Academic Common Market Waiver Guidance

  • Institutional and state scholarship/award recipients are required to be enrolled at CCU for full-time attendance (minimum of 12 undergraduate credit hours). Please keep in mind that most scholarships require 30 credit hours per year, so you may want to consider enrolling in 15 credit hours each semester. Refer to your scholarship offer letters/merit award policies for renewal criteria and other conditions.
  • Students receiving the Chanticleer Grant and/or Bronze Award must fill out a FAFSA by May 1st and meet need criteria to renew the award each year.
  • Recipients of the Academic Common Market Waiver are typically required to maintain fulltime enrollment. 
  • Complete required certification forms for SC state scholarships that have been awarded to you. This can now be performed via Required Agreements in Self-Service (under Options menu).

How Do I Contact Financial Aid and Scholarships?

Financial Aid and Scholarships is located on the 2nd floor of Baxley Hall. You may reach a financial aid counselor by calling (843) 349-2313 or emailing finaid@coastal.edu


For additional information on tuition and fees, fee payment deadlines and payment options, refund dates, and bookstore purchases, refer to the Office of Student Accounts’ webpage.