SC Teachers Loan
Residents of South Carolina who are planning to enter the teaching profession in the South Carolina public school system and who are seeking their first certification may apply for this program.
- FAFSA not required, but highly recommended
- Half-time enrollment required (at least 6 credit hours)
- Non need-based loan, can be forgiven at a rate of 20% or $3000 per year (whichever is greater) if teaching service is in a critical subject or critical geographic area.
- If you teach in both a critical subject and critical geographic area, your loan can be forgiven at a rate of 33 1/3% or $5000 per year (whichever is greater) of full-time teaching
- Critical subject areas must be deemed critical at the time of your employment
- If you decide not to teach, the interest rate for loans made on or after July 1, 2013, will be 2% higher than the UNSUBSIDIZED interest rate, not to exceed 8.25%.
Funding is limited for this program and is awarded on a first come, first serve basis.
Click here for more information about the SC Teachers Loan Program and to download an Application and Promissory Note.
Click here to complete the FAFSA.