IRS Data Retrieval Instructions
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool is available for online FAFSA submittals and is accessible through the FAFSA web site www.fafsa.ed.gov. The retrieval tool allows FAFSA applicants and/or parent(s) who are eligible to transfer their tax information from the IRS to the FAFSA. See below.
Click here for a 'How To' Video
Students and/or parent(s) must actively choose to utilize the data retrieval tool. If they choose to do so, they will be transferred to the Internal Revenue Service web site.
Enter the FSA ID and FSA Password (if requested) and select Proceed to site, you and/or your parent will be transferred to the IRS web site and asked information to authenticate the student’s and/or parent’s identity.
Students and/or parent(s) will need to authenticate their identity before any personal information is displayed.
Complete the form and select 'Submit'.
IRS Data Retrieval Tool. Applicants can also choose NOT to transfer the data to the FAFSA.
Once the information is transferred the student and/or parent will be returned to the FAFSA.
If you plan to submit your FAFSA before you and/or your parent(s) complete and submit your 2016 federal tax return, then be sure to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to update your FAFSA record once the returns have been submitted and the income data is available to be retrieved.
WHEN WILL MY DATA BE AVAILABLE FROM THE IRS?
- Electronic Tax Filers - Available within 2 weeks of filing
- Paper Tax Filers - Available within 6 - 8 weeks of filing
WHO IS NOT ELIGIBLE TO USE THE TOOL?
- Married couples who file separate tax returns.
- Applicants and/or parent(s) whose marital status has changed since January 1st, 2017.
- Applicants and/or parent(s) who are neither eligible nor required to file a 2016 Federal Tax Return.
- Applicants and/or parent(s) who filed an amended tax return.
- Applicants and or/parent(s) who filed a foreign tax return.
- Applicants and/or parent(s) who recently filed their tax returns.