When to Contact Us

Always contact University Counsel in the following situations:

  • University Counsel
    Singleton Building Suite 224
    642 Century Circle 
    Conway, SC 29526
  • 843-349-4101

1.  When the University receives a subpoena, a notice or threat of a lawsuit, claim, proceeding, investigation or contract dispute.

2.  When you receive a notice or complaint from agencies such as the offices or departments of: Civil Rights (OCR), Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), Inspector General (OIG), Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP), Department of Labor (DOL), or Administrative Hearings (OAH).

3.  When an outside party demands payment for a "wrong" that is alleged to have been committed by the University or by an agent of the University.

4.  When the University receives a public records (FOIA) request.

5.  When you are asked to sign a contract (e.g., agreement, memorandum of understanding, license).

6.  When a faculty member files a grievance or requests a hearing.

7.  When an individual has suffered a serious injury or death occurring on property owned, leased or managed by the University.

8.  When a University employee in the course and scope of work has suffered a serious injury or death.

9.  When an enrolled student has suffered serious injury or death while participating in a University-sponsored activity, program or travel.

10.  When significant property damage has occurred to property owned, leased or managed by the University.

11.  Prior to acquiring or disposing of "real" property.

12.  When an attorney or representative of an external law firm or agency contacts you about a matter relating to the University.

13.  When a government inspector or investigator is in your office or workplace.

14.  When you need legal advice pertaining to your official responsibilities at the University.

View University policies specific to University Counsel »