Transfer Students and the Core

Transfer Students and the Core

Use the  My Progress report in Self Service to review progress towards completing the Core Curriculum.

Students may have taken courses at other institutions that satisfy the Core Curriculum. These courses may not transfer in as core courses. Transfer students may work with their advisors to do either of the following:

  1. Complete the Transfer Cred Evaluation Adjustment. This is most appropriate when a course comes in as an elective course, but you and your advisor feel it should have come in as a CCU course. Would need to reach out to the department (Chair) to request whether a transferred course fulfills an identified class in the program.
  2. Submit an “Exception for Core Curriculum” petition to ask for credit for previously completed courses.

Core Curriculum Exemption is for students who transferred to Coastal from another institution and believe they have met the Core requirements. Please review the Core Curriculum Exemption Process for Transfers to determine if you qualify.

Transfer Students with an Earned A.A., A.S., B.A., or B.S Degree, or International B.S. or B.A., or International Master's Degree (with 150 hours)*

A student will be exempt from having to meet core curriculum requirements if the student is accepted to the University with an earned Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, Baccalaureate of Arts, or Baccalaureate of Science degree from a regionally accredited college or university in the U.S., with a baccalaureate degree from an accredited international institution of higher education, or with a master's degree (that requires at least 150 equivalent U.S. credit hours to complete) from an accredited international institution of higher education.

*If you believe you transferred to Coastal with these requirements and you were not automatically exempt from the Core Curriculum (Core waived), you may need to request a Core Curriculum Exemption.