Incoming Student Scholarships
Visual and Performing Arts Award
To be considered for a Visual and Performing Arts Award in the Department of Visual Arts applicants must be registered as a major in either Art Studio or Graphic Design.
The portfolio you submit to CCU should include no less than 10 and no more than 20 pieces of artwork you have created. This number will give us enough information to make an accurate assessment of your abilities. Please do not send any more than 20 pieces. At least four of those pieces SHOULD be drawing from observation if available. Observational drawings include still life, gesture, or figure drawings, portraits, and landscapes. We encourage you to feature your strongest (most successful) pieces made in your junior/ senior year or recent past. If you have an area of concentration or specialization please feel free to showcase this in your portfolio.
Your portfolio can include, but is not be limited to:
• Graphic Design
• Mixed-media or found-object pieces
• Computer-generated works
• Animations (please limit time to maximum of 5 minutes)
• Clay, metal, or glass objects
Make an effort not to include work copied from published works. If you use source photos, they should NOT be used as the sole inspiration for your work.
The order in which you present your work can have a significant effect on how your portfolio is viewed; therefore we suggest you begin and end your portfolio with your strongest pieces. Keep in mind that relationships in color, media, composition, and concept can link one piece to another and help your portfolio flow in a cohesive manner.
Digital Portfolio Guidelines
When you're ready to submit your portfolio, send it to us on a USB flash drive (we do not accept actual artwork of any kind). If you are unable to provide a portfolio in a flash drive format; we also accept digital portfolios via URL or as a PDF submitted via email.
For Physical Submission with a USB Drive:
- Include on a sheet of paper your full name, home address, phone number, and email address. Please affix your name to the drive with marker or adhesive material.
- Format each image file in JPEG (.jpg) format with maximum file sizes of 1MB each.
- Format animation or video work in either QuickTime (.mov) format or Windows Media Video (.wmv) format.
- Label images as follows: #ofImage_LAST NAME_FIRST INITIAL (i.e., 01_Smith_A)
- Assemble images clearly and / or present in a slide show format using Microsoft PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, or another slideshow or PDF application.
- Include on the disc or as a hardcopy in the envelope, a Microsoft Word, or PDF document containing your name and contact information, as well as a numbered list with the title, size, medium, and a brief description of each piece.
- NOTE: If submitting information on a small USB flash drive make sure this information is the only data on the submitted media - these will NOT be returned.
For Online Submission via email with URL or a PDF:
- Please note when submitting via email the file size can be NO LARGER than 2MB.
- Please email digital portfolios to:
Stephanie Miller - Department Chair
Freshman Student Portfolio Checklist
Portfolio Flash Drive following the following guidelines and checklist.
- 10 – 20 pieces of artwork saved in portfolio
- A document containing your contact information and image title list
- Followed image file guidelines listed above.
- Envelope addressed correctly for Visual Arts Department
- Completed a CCU application for admission.
- Mail the portfolio to:
Coastal Carolina University,
Visual Arts, EHFA 272
PO Box 261954
Conway, SC 29528
Note: No application items will be returned, we recommend keeping an original copy for your records.
Deadline for full consideration: March 1
For more information regarding merit awards and scholarships please visit the Merit Awards home at http://www.coastal.edu/meritawards/