CEF: From the beginning
Coastal Educational Foundation was formed in 1954 by a group of citizens interested in establishing an institution of higher education in the Waccamaw region of South Carolina. The group founded the institution that is now known as Coastal Carolina University.
The accomplishments of the Coastal Educational Foundation and its vital support of Coastal Carolina University for over half a century reside in the generosity of its endowers and donors, the collective wisdom and commitment of our volunteer directors, a devoted and professional staff, and the truly working partnership we share with those leaders who serve and support the University.
A groundbreaking ceremony was held in October 1962 celebrating a successful fundraising campaign that produced $300,000, enough to begin construction of the first building on the campus – the Edward M. Singleton Building. The building opened in 1963.
The Coastal Educational Foundation is a nonprofit organization established and operated in accordance with IRS section 501(c)3 and the regulations thereunder; and, incorporated under the South Carolina Nonprofit Corporation. Donors are provided with the maximum tax benefits allowed by law.