Conway Medical Center College of Health and Human Performance
Swain Scholars Program
What is the Swain Scholars Program?
Students selected to be Kenneth E. and Jewel Clemmons Swain Scholars will work with Coastal Carolina University faculty and community agencies to research health-related issues and implement community health programs. Swain Scholars will receive scholarships up to $5,000 per year based upon academic and financial criteria, for a total of four semesters.
Each year up to seven students will be selected through a competitive process, including a faculty committee interview. This unique scholarship program is made possible by a generous donation from a pharmacist from Myrtle Beach, the late Kenneth E. Swain.
Click here for a downloadble Flyer About the Swain Scholars Program.
- Feb. 23, 2023
for 2023-2024 academic year
- FOR INFORMATION:
Sharon Thompson, Ed.D., Ed.S.
Distinguished Professor Emeritus
Swain Hall 147
Who is eligible to apply for the Swain Scholars Program?
A student interested in becoming a Swain Scholar must:
- Have two (2) additional years prior to graduation from Coastal Carolina University (approximately 60 credits remaining) and a declared major in: Biochemistry, Biology, Chemistry, Exercise and Sport Science, Psychology, or Public Health.
- Have a GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Submit an Application to Become a Swain Scholar that includes:
• A brief resume;
• An academic transcript;
• A recommendation from a faculty member who can provide insight on your leadership qualities, academic work, and professionalism; and,
• A personal statement to include: your interest in community health efforts, previous involvement with community health, future plans in the health science/prevention/advocacy area, and why you should be chosen as a Swain Scholar.
Once chosen as a Swain Scholar, what are the requirements?
Swain Scholars will be working to improve the health of our community; therefore, will enroll in a total of six course credits (Junior and Senior years: 1 credit each Fall and 2 credits each Spring – SWNS 301, 302, 401 and 402) to plan health outreach programs, conduct health science research and become involved in the community through implementation of these programs. To maintain status as a Swain Scholar, all students must earn a “B” average or higher in SWNS 301, 302, 401, and 402, maintain an overall GPA of 3.25, and uphold the Coastal Carolina University Honor Code, the Coastal Carolina University Code of Student Conduct, as well as the Swain Scholars Behavioral Conduct Guidelines.
Where do I submit my application and when is the deadline?
Please contact Sharon Thompson in Swain Hall 147, via email firstname.lastname@example.org or 843-349-2635. The application deadline for the 2023-2024 academic year is Feb. 23, 2023.