News and Events
Computing Sciences Events
6:00 p.m. | Spring 2020 CCU graduates will be honored in a virtual format on Friday, May 8, 2020, at 6 p.m. See the Spring Commencement page for details.
Virtual Career Fair
11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
The career fair is free for CCU students and alumni internship and job seekers! Visit the Career Fair website to participate.
If you have not yet registered, we are now in the open registration period, meaning registration is open for all students! Contact your advisor for assistance. Register through Webadvisor
Computing Sciences Supports Centralized Effort to Produce Medical Masks
Across the University, there is a centralized effort to produce medical masks using 3D printing technology. See Coastal Now - CCU Collaborates to Create Vital Masks
News Release: USRC Provides Opportunities to Coastal Carolina University Students
Coastal Carolina University (CCU) and the Ultrascale Systems Research Center (USRC), a joint program between Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) and the New Mexico Consortium (NMC), in Los Alamos, New Mexico, have a strong relationship that has involved many CCU students over the past several years. This collaboration has resulted in multiple year-long research assistantships at CCU, summer internships and permanent job placements at the NMC and LANL. See more about the CCU-LANL collaboration »
- April 22, 2020 - Ice Cream Social - Cancelled due to Covid-19.
- March 26, 2020 - UPE Induction Ceremony - On-campus event cancelled, but Mrs. Tonya Melvin-Bryant (advisor of UPE) is reviewing options.
- March 25, 2020 - Academic and Career Advising Pizza Party - Cancelled due to Covid-19. Career portion rescheduled!!! Advising portion moved to individual advising. Contact your advisor with questions.
- February 2, 2020 - NSBE Student Club Meeting
- February 4, 2020 - Numbers & Bytes Student Club Meeting
- January 30, 2020 - IEEE Student Club Meeting
- January 13, 2020 - First day of Spring 2020 Semester!
- December 8, 2019 - Computing Sciences Student Clubs End-of-Semester SocialNovember 20th - Pancake Breakfast & NSBE Thanksgiving Gathering
- October 30 and 31st - Departmental Trick-or-Treating & Movie ticket raffle
- October 30, 2019 - ACM Chapter Meeting
- October 29, 2019 - Numbers & Bytes Chapter Meeting
- October 27, 2019 - NSBE Chapter Meeting
- October 24/30/31, 2019 - Cybersecurity Awareness 101 Hosted by ITS
- October 23, 2019 - Group Advising Pizza Party
- October 16, 2019 - Cybersecurity Event Hosted by ITS
- October 11, 2019 - The ACM and UPE student clubs hosted Escape Room. All clubs are welcome. Challenge your tech skills by deciphering the code to escape the room.
- October 10, 2019 - Cybersecurity Event Hosted by ITS Department
- October 3rd & 4th, 2019 - Grace Hopper Streaming Events
- September 19, 2019 - Student Club Special Interest Meeting
- September 16, 2019 - Women in STEM Fellowship Kick-Off and Guest Lecturer Bob Robey
- September 2-14, 2019 - Kimbel Library Exhibit: Limitless Ambition
- August 19, 2019 - CINO TIE
- June 30, 2019 - Gupta College of Science Naming Ceremony
- June 14, 2019 - Alayna Johnston - Awarded Scholarship
- Wednesday, April 17, 2019 - Ice Cream Social - Hosted by the Women in STEM Student Club
- Wednesday, April 3, 2019 - Spring Career & Internship Fair - Hosted by Career Services
- March 5, 2019 - Group Advising & Pizza
- February 20, 2019 - Chili Cook-off!
- January 31, 2019 - Pancake Breakfast
- Wednesday, November 28, 2018 - Chicken Bog-Off!
- Thursday, October 28, 2019 - Meet the Tutors
- Thursday, October 11, 2018 - Group Advising
October 3rd and 4th - Grace Hopper Local Streaming Event Mornings The Grace Hopper Celebration is the world's largest women in technology conference. We will gather to watch women leaders in tech fields. These talks are 1h 45min long, but there is no expectation that you need to stay the whole time.
- October 2 at 9 a.m. AOC2 241: Opening Keynote: Aicha Evans and Ana Roca Castro
- October 3 at 9:45 a.m. AOC2 241: Making STEM Education Accessible Through the Immersion of Dance
- October 4 at 10:30 a.m. AOC2 241: 5 Reasons to Work at a Startup. For more on this talk, visit Discuss How to reach 50/50 by 2025
September 19, 2019 - Student Club Special Interest Meeting
Noon, Computing Sciences Hallway AOC2 2nd Floor
There is a drawing for a $25 Domino’s gift card on Sept. 30 for all who complete an interest card. Representing the following clubs: ACM – Association for Computing Machinery, CyberSecurity Club, IEEE – Institute of Electronics and Electrical Engineering, NSBE – National Society of Black Engineers, Numbers and Bytes, and WiS – Women in STEM
September 16, 2019 - Women in STEM Fellowship Kick-Off
All Women students in a STEM major at CCU are invited to join the Women in STEM Fellowship for desserts to learn about who we are, our mission, and financial support. Free T-Shirt!!! Drop-in between 3pm and 4pm in HTCC 207.
September 15, 2019 - Guest Lecturer Bob Robey
Bob Robey, Computational Physicist / Programmer @ Los Alamos National Laboratory - "CLAMR: How students, fires, hashing, and Coastal Carolina University forged an adaptive mesh mini application." Topics include computational science, high performance, computing, some internship opportunities for summer 2020, experiences from past CCU student interns and MORE!
September 2-14, 2019 - Kimbel Library Exhibit: Limitless Ambition
The traveling exhibit, When Computers Wore Skirts, and the Smithsonian poster exhibit, Earth from Space, will be on display downstairs in the Kimbel Library from September 2-14, 2019. The exhibits are free and open to the public. On Thursday, September 5, there will be a special showing of "Hidden Figures" at 5 p.m. in the Lib Jackson Student Union theater. The movie will be followed by a lecture on the Harvard Computers by CCU Teaching Associate of Astronomy and Computer Science Ian Hewitt, Physics & Engineering Science/Computing Sciences.
June 30, 2019 - Gupta College of Science Naming Ceremony
On Tuesday, July 30, 2019 a naming ceremony was held in honor of Sunny Gupta, a 1992 Coastal Carolina University alumnus. Sunny Gupta was a computer science graduate in 1992 and was named the College of Science's Outstanding Alumnus of the Year in 2008. Current student, Jeanne Dehetre, who is majoring in information technology and minoring in criminology, represented the current students of the Department of Computing Sciences at the ceremony. Gupta College of Science Naming Ceremony »
June 14, 2019 - Alayna Johnston Receives Scholarship
The Department of Computing Sciences is pleased to announce that Alayna Johnston meets criteria for and has been awarded the Scholarship in Honor of Dr. Stephen Sheel and Professor Eugene Collins for the 2019-20 academic year. Dr. Sheel and Professor Collins both formerly served as Chair of the Department of Computing Sciences and currently still teach some of our courses! We are pleased to support a current student in honor of Dr. Sheel and Professor Collins! Alayna is an active student in the department and member the Women in STEM student club. Congratulations to Alayna!
Wednesday, April 17th - Ice Cream Social
The Department of Computing Sciences is sponsoring an ICE CREAM SOCIAL on Wednesday, April 17th at 12pm on the second floor of the AOC2 building between the tutoring labs. The Women in STEM student club will host the event!
Wednesday, April 3 from 12 noon - 3 pm Spring Career & Internship Fair
HTC Center Arena - FREE and open to all CCU students and graduates! Bring your resumes and dress professionally. Full list with employer links on Handshake (use your CCU login).
Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 12pm - Group Advising & Pizza Party
Join us for pizza as we have a group academic advising session. We'll discuss the curriculum and answer questions you have. Faculty will be available for one-on-one assistance. Location: AOC2-215 Tutoring Lab. Pizza will be from Fox's Pizza Den.
February 20, 2019 - Chili Cook-off!
This time, the faculty, staff, and tutors are competing! If at least 40 attend and vote, we'll raffle off a $25 gift card!
Update: First place was Josh Westerhaus by a landslide! We either didn't have 40 students attend (or 40 tickets were not turned in), so we didn't hold the raffle. We didn't want to go without giving away the prize, so Josh Westerhaus will receive the gift card! Congratulations, Josh!
November 28, 2018 - Chicken Bog!
Chicken Bog is a local dish made with chicken, rice, and sausage. At this event, the faculty and staff are cooking and the students are voting! Come and join us for lunch for this tasty dish. First place was Mrs. Burke. Second place was Dr. French. Third place was Mr. Nance. The WINNER for a gift certificate to Wild Wings was LeAerialle White. Congratulations, LeAerialle!
October 18, 2018 - Meet the Tutors
Enjoy free coffee and doughnuts during our drop-in open house to meet our academic student tutors.
Update: The WINNER for a gift certificate to the restaurant of their choice went to BRAEDEN SLADE.
October 11, 2018 - Group Advising
Join us for pizza as we have a group academic advising session. We'll discuss the curriculum and answer questions you have. Faculty will be available for one-on-one assistance.