B.S. Information Technology
Information Technology majors at Coastal Carolina University will learn to plan, acquire, configure, implement, maintain, upgrade and support systems and software to solve real-world problems in business, industry and government. The curriculum prepares students to use and apply current technical concepts and best practices to integrate computing systems into the workplace environment. Graduates of the program will be prepared to enter the workforce as system administrators, technology managers, network architects, computer security specialists and technical support professionals. Also, information technology graduates will be prepared for graduate study in the field.
- Visit the 2019-2020 University Catalog to view a complete list of program requirements.
- See the Mathematics Curriculum Plan for an overview of mathematics requirements.
The Student Experience
- Since real-world applications are fundamental to information technology, courses are designed around hands-on experience with current computing hardware and software.
- Students have access to computing and laboratory resources at the department and college levels, including workstations, networking equipment, high-performance computing systems and a small-scale data center.
Areas of Study
- CSCI 335 Software Project Management
- CSCI 370 Data Communications Systems and Networks
- CSCI 385 Introduction to Information Systems Security
- CSCI 415 Systems Administration
- CSCI 416 Linux System Administration
- CSCI 427 Systems Integration
- CSCI 444 Human-Computer Interaction
Jean French, Ph.D.
Professor, Department Chair
Which Degree is right for me?
Though information systems, information technology, cybersecurity, software engineering, artificial intelligence, and other fields of computing fall under the broad umbrella of computer science, there are enough differences to distinguish areas of study. The Department of Computing Sciences offers three Bachelor of Science programs. Which program is right for you? Visit the Degree Program Comparison .