Environmental Quality Lab
Facilities and Equipment
The EQL is housed in the Coastal Science Center at Coastal Carolina University. It has 2,983 square feet of laboratory and office space, of which 2,578 square feet is dedicated laboratory space.
The laboratory areas include 275 linear feet of bench space, five fume hoods, and controlled temperature equipment (e.g., refrigerators, freezers, incubators, water baths). Laboratory facilities are temperature and humidity controlled. Laboratory facilities include sufficient bench-top area for processing samples; storage spaces for chemicals, reagents, glassware, and portable equipment; and floor space for stationary equipment. Additional areas in the science building are utilized for sterilizing materials in an autoclave and housing a water purification system (i.e., reverse osmosis).
The laboratory is operated 365 days a year, employing the work hours necessary to complete contracted work and research. All laboratory activities are performed or supervised by the laboratory director or the laboratory senior technician.
The EQL utilizes all equipment as appropriate and necessary for a given technique, as specified in a referenced method, or as required by regulatory programs. Below is a list of selected EQL lab and field equipment. For a full list, see the EQL Equipment List (PDF).
Select EQL Equipment
- Atomic absorption spectrophotometers
- Bench top conductivity, pH, turbidity, dissolved oxygen, and temperature meters
- Inductive salinometer
- Ion chromatograph
- Laboratory water deionizers
- Hach and YSI portable hand-held meters (conductivity, colorimetery, DO, pH, temperature, turbidity)
- IDEXX Quanti-Tray sealer
- Total Organic Carbon (TOC) Analyzer
- Lachat QuikChem 8500 Flow Injection Analyzer
- Incubators for bacteria and BOD analysis
- Ocean Optics Spectrometer
- BioExpress qPCR Workstation
- YSI multiparameter sondes for logging continuous field measurements
- Hobo water level loggers
- Vaisala Weather Transmitter
- Durridge Radon Gas Monitor
- UV Lamps
- Water bath
- Steam sterilizer
- Fume hoods
- Refrigerators and freezers
- Nalgene first flush samplers
- Class A laboratory glassware including pipettes, beakers, flasks, etc.
- Analytical balances