Direct Student Loans
The following is true of all Direct Student Loans:
- FAFSA required for federal loans
- No credit checks or collateral required
- Fixed interest rates (see https://studentaid.gov/ for rates)
- Per federal regulation, an origination fee will be charged on loans
- Half-time enrollment requires at least 6 credit hours for undergraduate and 5 credit hours for graduate students
- Must maintain satisfactory academic progress according to Financial Aid Academic Progress Standards:
- Undergraduate Academic Progress Standards
- Graduate Academic Progress Standards
- Entrance loan counseling is required for all new Coastal Carolina University loan recipients.
Direct Student Loans are federal student loans and can be subsidized or unsubsidized depending on the student's financial need.
- Subsidized Direct Student Loans are awarded on the basis of financial need. The federal government pays the interest on these loans while you are in school. Graduate students are not eligible
- Unsubsidized Direct Student Loans are not awarded on the basis of financial need and you will be charged interest on the loan until the loan is paid off. While you are in school you can make interest only payments to avoid having the interest added to the original loan amount.
|How to Apply:|
|1. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the correct academic year.|
|2. Sign a Master Promissory Note.|
|3. Complete on-line Entrance Loan Counseling.|
If you have already completed Entrance Loan Counseling while attending Coastal Carolina University, you are not required to complete a new counseling session. However, if in doubt, to prevent a delay, you may complete a new Entrance Loan Counseling session.
Please see Annual Direct Student Loan Limits
Click here to complete the FAFSA on-line.