Nomination & Selection
Each year, a teacher from both divisions will be selected for the Dr. Ron Ingle S.C. History Day Teachers' Award.
The winning teachers will receive $500 for the time, expertise and energy they contribute to their students who participate in South Carolina History Day. They will also receive a commemorative box and their name on a plaque in the Coastal Carolina University History Department. The recipients will be recognized during the South Carolina History Day State Contest.
- Beginning in fall, the South Carolina History Day state coordinator will collect nominations via an online form.
- Nominations will close one week after the last regional contest.
- Nominated teachers will be contacted by the state coordinator to submit a brief statement.
- The state coordinator is a non-voting member of the selection committee.
- The selection committee must include the chair of the Coastal Carolina University History Department.
- Other members of the committee will represent various aspects of S.C. History Day (student, parent, former winner, etc).
- The selection committee will consist of an odd number of individuals.
- The selection committee will be provided nominations with identifying information removed.
- The selection committee must reach a consensus on recipients.
- Quantity of nominations is not a deciding factor.
- Teachers will not be allowed to win for three years after receiving the award.
Dr. Ron Ingle
President Emeritus of Coastal Carolina University, Dr. Ingle's heart for people from all walks of life and the desire to promote education were central to his vision of the University community.
During his tenure, USC Coastal Carolina became an independent state institution, University enrollment doubled, its economic impact in the community reached $225 million, SAT scores improved, academic programs expanded to 40 baccalaureate degree programs, and new graduate programs were added. As Dr. Ingle retired from the University in 2007, his love for education has continued to be an important part of his life's purpose. He promotes and supports the University's engagement with the surrounding communty, and continues to work with other universities in their efforts to improve as educational insititutions. Dr. Ingle has made a lifetime commitment to education and teacher development, and the S.C. History Day Teachers' Award seeks to honor his legacy.
Interested in donating to the award fund? Please contact Diane Fabiano Sanders at 843-349-2006 or firstname.lastname@example.org