Apply to be a Jackson Scholar
Deadline to Apply for Class of 2020-2022:
October 25, 2019
The Jackson Scholar Program admits students through a competitive application process that offers students from across the university the chance to gain experience with leadership, ethics and learn more about their own values.
Before you begin the application process, please read the Jackson Scholar Handbook here.
There are five parts required to apply for the Jackson Scholar Program:
- The completed application form
- A written statement from the applicant
- An unofficial copy of the applicant's transcript
- A letter of recommendation from a current Coastal Carolina University faculty or staff member
- A writing sample.
Fill out the Jackson Scholar Application completely. When finished, save the file with your name (LastFirst) and Application (ex: SmithJohn_Application.pdf). Please make certain to save your application as a .pdf file.
If you encounter any issues, please contact the Assistant Director of The Jackson Family Center for Ethics & Values at 843-349-4149.
Submission Deadline: October 25, 2019
The Written Statement
In a statement of not more than 750 words, please address the following:
- Who do you admire and why? Tell us one person whose character, achievements, or life story you admire. What about them do you find so impressive? (If possible, avoid the most obvious candidates: your Mom and Dad)
- Please share personal examples of both a success and a failure in upholding one of your values.
- What is the biggest ethical issue facing our society? What do you think it will take to make progress on this issue, and how can you personally make a difference?
Double space your written statement and use Times New Roman 12 point font. Save the file as your name (LastFirst) and Statement. The file should be in .pdf format (ex: SmithJohn_Statement.pdf).
Submit a sample of your written work of which you are proud. It can be on any topic, from any class and of any length, but it should showcase your ability to communicate your thoughts on paper.
Go to WebAdvisor and log into your student account. Under ‘Academic Profile’ click on the link ‘View Your Unofficial Transcript.’ If you are turning in a hard copy of your application, print your unofficial transcript and attach it to your application. If you are emailing your application, save it as a .pdf file and include it with your application email.
Your unofficial transcript file should follow the same naming structure as the other parts of the application format (ex: SmithJohn_Transcript.pdf).
The Letter of Recommendation
The letter of recommendation must come from a current faculty or staff member at Coastal Carolina University. The letter must be sent by the faculty or staff member directly to Alan Lam at email@example.com.
Once your application, written response, and transcript are complete you may submit them to the Assistant Director. If you are completing a hard copy, submit it to the Assistant Director in EHFA 232. If you are emailing your application, then attach all three files to an email and send them to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you do not receive a confirmation email within 24 hours, please contact Alan Lam at 843-349-4149.