Admission Requirements

M.Ed. Language, Literacy, and Culture Admission Requirements

  • Completion of the application and payment of application fee.
  • Transcripts - You must submit an official transcript from every institution you have attended. Receipt of a baccalaureate or any higher degree must be clearly indicated on the transcript from the awarding institution. Official transcripts are those sent by the registrar of a college or a university directly to the . Electronic transcripts should be sent to The Office of Graduate Studies does not order transcripts from any institution.
  • Official transcripts reflecting an undergraduate Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 (overall) OR, report of minimum scores on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) (minimum score of 286 with no less than 146 on the verbal and 140 on the quantitative portions), OR, report of a minimum score (388) on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT). Scores must be no more than five years old.
  • References - Two email addresses are required to be provided with your graduate application. It is recommended that one be from a principal, instructional supervisor or an internship supervisor.  Select people who frequently respond to email. Those two references will be asked to quickly respond to a brief set of questions with options from a drop down menu.
  • Teaching Certificate - A copy of your Teaching Certificate must be submitted with your application.

Application Deadlines

The Office of Graduate Studies cannot guarantee that late applications will be considered for the intended semester. Applications must be postmarked by the following deadlines:

Fall Semester: July 1
Spring Semester: November 1
Summer I Session: May 1


Students wishing to only take coursework in order to apply to the SC DOE for Literacy Teacher/Literacy Coach or ESOL add-on certification should apply as graduate non-degree seeking applicants. Non-degree seeking graduate applicants must submit an official academic transcript demonstrating successful completion of a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution in this country or its equivalent at a foreign institution based on a four-year degree.  Teachers taking graduate courses as non-degree-seeking students may submit their teaching certificate in lieu of transcripts.