Campus Beauty Lake with Flowers

FERPA for Parents/Guardians

FERPA for Parents/Guardians



Up until the time a student turns 18 or begins study at an institution of higher education, regardless of age, FERPA rights reside with the parent. Once a student reached 18 years of age and begins taking classes at a postsecondary institution, regardless of age, FERPA rights transfer to the student. At this point the right to inspect a student’s records resides solely with the student.

Records may be released to parents without signed consent under certain exceptions. These are:

  1. health or safety emergency
  2. in the instance where the student is under the age of 21 and has been found in violation of the institutions code of conduct relating to the use of alcohol or a controlled substance
  3. if documented evidence show the parents/guardian declare the student as a dependent on their most recent Federal Income Tax form


  1. If I pay my student’s tuition bill does that give me the right to access their non-directory information?
  2. Paying your student’s tuition bill does not give you access to their non-directory information. However, there are ways for students to give parents/guardians limited access to financial information or grade access. This access is specific to grades and financial information only. Students may go to the following links to grant the access:

Financial information (Student Account Center):

Grade information (Self Service):

  1. I would like to contact my student’s instructor or advisor and talk with them regarding my student, can I do this?
  2. If your student wishes to grant you one time access to have a discussion regarding their non-directory information with an advisor/instructor they may contact the Office of the Registrar regarding their options 843-349-2019 or .
  1. My student needs copies of their transcripts from other institutions attended. Can they get copies of these? What about a copy of their social security card or birth certificate?
  2. Transcripts and documents from other institutions are not the original property of Coastal Carolina University, they belong to the issuing institution. Students must go back to the original institution for copies of their documents. We cannot provide copies of these documents
  1. What is considered directory information?
  2. Directory information is outlined in the FERPA FOR STUDENTS section.
  1. My student is my dependent. Can I get access to their student records?
  2. As your dependent you may request access, in writing, and with this request you must supply copies of the most recent Federal Income Tax forms, showing that you claim your student as a dependent. This gets you access to one (1) transcript after final grading has been processed.
  1. Are student’s medical records part of student records?
  2. No, student medical records are not part of the records maintained by the Office of the Registrar. Medical records are covered by HIPPA and are maintained by the appropriate offices on campus.
  1. Will I be notified if my student is placed on academic probation?
  2. No, parents are not notified of a student’s academic standings.


For additional information please contact the Office of the Registrar at or 843-349-2019. You may also contact the Department of Education at