Academic Coaching Experience Department
- Academic Coaching Experience
Kearns Hall 107A
- Find us on Instagram
- Drop In Hours
Monday: 10-11 a.m.
Tuesday: 1-3 p.m.
Wednesday: 3-4 p.m.
Thursday: 1-2 p.m., 3-4 p.m.
Friday: 11 a.m.-noon
- Schedule an appointment
- Meet the Staff »
- Academic Coaching Referral Form »
- Coastal Student Success Center HOME »
The Academic Coaching Experience Department (ACED) consists of academic coaching specialists and offers the ACED-101 Academic Strategy Development course as well as focuses on academic coaching for the following special populations:
- Students participating in the Coastal Academic Recovery program,
- Coastal Excellence and Leadership (CEaL) program students,
- Bridge program students,
- First-time, full-time students identified through an early alert system, and
- Students who self-refer or who are referred for academic coaching by professors, staff and administrators.
Do you need to know if Academic Coaching is what your student needs? Refer to our Coastal Student Success Center Flow Chart (PDF) for helpful questions to ask before you submit the referral.
(0 credits) This action-orientated, skill based course is designed to assist students in developing a better understanding of their individualized academic and personal areas of strength and challenge and develop the skills and strategies necessary to improve their academic and personal performance. Critical skill development covered in this course include, but are not limited to, course assessment, reflection and self-regulation. F,S
Emphasis is placed on personal accountability, self-assessment and reflection, personal management, planning, and academic skill development. Students will receive assistance identifying personal barriers to success, setting appropriate academic goals, and developing and implementing metacognitive strategies in their courses. Students will practice reflecting on their academic experiences, and will learn to track their outcomes and make necessary adjustments to their academic approaches.
Introduce and/or enhance the development of the following skills:
- Self-assessment, reflection and personal management
- Understanding faculty expectations
- Making the most of class time (preparing for and using class time effectively)
- Active study strategies
- Test taking strategies
- Communicating with faculty
- Active reading strategies
- Understanding professors’ feedback
- Online preparation