Active Shooter/Armed Aggressor
Whe there is an active shooter in a campus building:
In the event that an active shooter in a campus building is actively causing harm or threatening imminent deadly harm to people, you must immediately “Secure-in-Place” or seek cover and call Public Safety. Give as many details as possible: your name, location, number of assailants and other pertinent information.
- Do not sound the fire alarm to evacuate the building. Individuals may be placed in harm's way when they are attempting to evacuate the building.
- Be aware of all exits and if safe, flee to a safe area.
- If evacuation is not safe, persons should "Secure-in-Place" as described in the Secure-in-Place procedure. Persons should lock themselves in classrooms, residence hall rooms and offices as a means of protection. If the door will not lock, try barricading the door with desks and chairs. Lie on the floor and/or under desk, (spread out, do not huddle in a group) turn off lights and remain silent. Develop an idea of how to respond if the shooter enters your area.
- Persons should stay low, away from windows and barricade or lock their door(s) if possible and use furniture or desks as cover.
- If possible, close blinds of any windows or openings that have a direct line of sight into the hallway.
- When you encounter Public Safety (Police), keep your hands empty and in plain view at all times. If you are evacuating, carry nothing that could be mistaken as a weapon.