Safety and Security
The safety, security and welfare of Coastal Carolina University students and the entire University community are central to fulfilling our mission.
Our commitment to ensuring campus safety encompasses a number of emergency management initiatives and security measures in a comprehensive emergency management program that includes prevention, protection, mitigation, response and recovery planning and preparedness programs.
How we keep CCU safe and secure
A key security measure is CCU Alert, a text messaging notification system for all students (and their families), faculty and staff. In the event of an emergency, CCU Alert provides quick notification of a campus emergency, including a threatening weather event. Get CCU Alert »
Other measures that are part of our safety and security effort include:
- More than 105 uniformed police officers and security officers ensuring the safety of students, faculty, staff and visitors;
- Campus-wide 24-hour security including more than 1,400 security cameras, 138 emergency call boxes and over 1,000 panic alarms;
- Enhanced lighting in parking lots, sidewalks and around buildings;
- Access security control for Ingle and Eaglin residence halls, as well as for Swain and Brittain halls and the HTC Center;
- Trained responders, many of whom are sworn police officers, fire and safety officers, and security guards, as well as others who have earned FEMA certifications;
- Enhanced safety and security training programs for all faculty and staff, including mandatory active shooter training; and
- CHANT Intervention Team, a group of professional staff and faculty who identify and assist students whose behaviors are disruptive to the educational and/or residence hall environment or raise safety-related concerns, and an online reporting system.
There are many ways students and the rest of the campus community at Coastal Carolina University receive important messages. One of those, the Mass Notification System, is reserved solely for emergency situations. It was tested during the annual PrepareAthon.