For New Students
Before you arrive on campus...
- As a new student, you must access your student email account in Microsoft Office 365 online (after you are accepted to the University and pay all applicable tuition fees, a CCU email account is established for you). CCU uses your Office 365 account to contact you, share important university information with you, and let you know what's happening on campus. Visit our Student Email page to learn more about using Office 365 to access email, download Microsoft Office for free, and more!
- Student Computing Services also provides computer recommendations. For computer purchases, Apple and Dell offer student discounts.
- Click here for information about access to Microsoft Office software for CCU students.
- Install antivirus software (it's required!). If you have a Windows PC that has Windows Defender no additional antivirus is required. Antivirus Information
- Ensure your operating system is up-to-date with necessary updates and patches. This also includes any updates need for game consoles and media devices.
- Familiarize yourself with safe-computing and how to protect yourself from cyber-attacks. We recommend Malwarebytes, a free anti-malware download.
- Get CCU's mobile app at CCUMobile.
- Sign-up for CCU Alert (you can also add a parent or guardian) and please also save and program the Public Safety emergency number in your phone: 843-349-2911.
Once you are on campus...
- There are three campus networks: Wired Network, eduroam (Wi-Fi), CCU ResNet (University Housing wired and wireless). Connect to the CCU Network and the Internet (from CCU ResNet if you are living in University Housing or from eduroam for on-campus wireless). MetaAccess NAC is required for all computers and other device technology accessing Coastal Carolina University networks, including game consoles/media streaming devices. Find out how to install MetaAcess NAC (formerly Impulse SafeConnect) and register your game console. Devices connecting to the wireless network will require authentication every 30 days. Game consoles/media devices are required to be registered at the start of each semester.
- Check your accounts: Student Email, Moodle, WebAdvisor. Once the semester or term begins, your classes will automatically appear in Moodle; although most faculty use moodle, there may be a few exceptions.
- Locate Student Computing Services in Kearns Hall 113 and visit our Locations and Hours page for more detailed information on additional labs on campus.
- Explore technology resources available to students: student technology support, charging stations, training, and how to find a campus job with Student Computing Services.
Read the University's Computing Policy »