International Students and Exchange Visitors - Coastal Carolina University
In This Section

International Students and Exchange Visitors

Medical care is very expensive in the U.S. If you have a medical emergency and do not have medical insurance or if you have inadequate coverage, you may incur very large medical bills. Please note that Coastal Carolina University has a clinic on-campus (Student Health Services) where you can see a health care provider (i.e., physician, nurse practitioner, physician assistant or registered nurse). There is no charge for office visits (physical exam only); however, there are nominal fees for some laboratory testing, medications and office procedures. Charges will be billed to your student account. 

Student Health Services does not bill insurance companies or other responsible parties; however, proper documentation will be provided to enable students to pursue reimbursement from insurance companies.

Coastal Carolina University has purchased, at no cost to students, the Student Accident Insurance Plan, through A-G Student Insurance, which offers a $10,000 maximum yearly benefit for all full-time Coastal students. A full-time student is defined as any enrolled undergraduate student taking at least 12 credit hours or a graduate student taking at least 9 credit hours. This plan also provides coverage for participation in intercollegiate NCAA activities. For more information about the plan’s benefits and how to electronically file claims for qualifying medical expenses, please visit A-G’s website at or call toll free: 888-622-6001. THIS COVERAGE DOES NOT MEET THE REQUIREMENTS FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS AND EXCHANGE VISITORS. 

Minimum Insurance Requirements

All international students (including spouses and other dependents on F-2 or J-2 visas) are required to purchase additional health insurance prior to arriving in the United States. Your insurance must meet or exceed the following minimum requirements:

  • $100,000 USD Medical benefits (per accident or injury)
  • $25,000 USD Repatriation of remains
  • $50,000 USD Medical Evacuation
  • $500 USD or less Deductible per accident or per illness

Insurance must always be kept valid and current. If you already have personal health insurance that meets the minimum requirements and is valid in the U.S., you do not have to purchase additional insurance. You are required to submit proof of insurance with effective dates and coverage, in English, upon arrival as well as each and every time a new insurance policy is purchased or renewed and at the beginning of every semester.  

Insurance Information

You may purchase health insurance from the provider of your choice; however, Coastal Carolina University has partnered with AHP (Academic Health Plan)  student insurance to provide a plan that meets the above minimum requirements and has dental, vision, mental health, pharmacy, and preventative health care coverage, and meets all Affordable Care Act requirements. You can find more information about this plan here:

There are also many insurance companies that meet the minimum requirements and cover both students and scholars. These plans can be purchased beginning around $40 per month, per person, depending on age. Please visit their websites or call to determine the insurance policy that would best suit your needs.

If you are an Exchange Visitor (J visa) and you have been in the U.S. for three or more years or you are a student (F visa) and have been in the U.S. for five or more years, you may be subject to the insurance requirements mandated by the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Please check with the  Center for Global Engagement office  for further information.

Health History/Immunization Form

Every student entering Coastal Carolina University must meet the University's immunization requirements prior to registration. Please click here for more information.