Active Shooter/Armed Aggressor
When an active shooter enters your office or classroom:
1. If possible, call Public Safety and talk with a police dispatcher. If you can’t speak, leave the phone line open so the police can hear what is going on.
2. Use common sense. If you are hiding and unable to flee, fight as a last resort and only when your life is in imminent danger.
- Attempt to incapacitate the shooter.
- Act with as much physical aggression as possible.
- Improvise weapons or throw items at the active shooter.
- Commit to your actions. Your life depends on it.
3. Attempting to overcome the suspect with force is a last resort that should only be considered in the most extreme circumstances. Only you can decide if this is something you should do. Remember there may be more than one shooter.
4. If the shooter exits your area and you are able to escape, leave the area immediately. Do not touch anything in the area and remember to be alert for responding officers who may mistake you as the shooter.
5. While escaping, as soon as you see an officer, put your hands over your head and immediately comply with the officers instructions.