Expolsion or Aircraft Down
In the event a mishap occurs, such as an explosion or a downed aircraft (crash) on campus, take the following action:
- Immediately take cover under tables, desks and other objects which will give protection against falling glass or debris.
- After the effects of the explosion and/or fire have subsided, notify Public Safety at 843-349-2911. Give your name and describe the location and nature of the emergency.
- If necessary, or when directed to do so, activate the building alarm. Caution: some campus building’s alarm only ring inside the building. Report the emergency by telephone. Do not hang up until told to do so.
- When the building evacuation (fire) alarm is sounded, or when told to leave by University officials, walk quickly to the nearest “SAFE EXIT” and ask others to do the same. Assist the disabled in exiting the building.
- Once outside, move to assembly point away from the affected building. Keep streets and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and crews. Know your safe area assembly location and go to that place immediately.
- Do not return to an evacuated building unless told to do so by a University official.