If there is a hazardous materials spill:
- Any spillage or release of a hazardous chemical or radiation material is reported immediately to Public Safety at 843-349-2911. Do not hang up until told to do so.
- When reporting, be specific about the nature of the involved material and exact location. Public Safety will contact the necessary specialized authorities and medical personnel.
- The key person on the site should vacate the affected area at once and seal it off to prevent further contamination of other areas until the arrival of Public Safety personnel.
- Anyone who may be contaminated by the spill is to avoid contact with others as much as possible, remain in the vicinity and give their names to Public Safety.
- When told to leave by University officials, walk quickly to the nearest “SAFE EXIT” and ask others to do the same. Assist the disabled in exiting the building.
- Once outside, move to a safe area at least 500 feet away, up wind from the affected area. Keep streets and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and crews.
- Do not return to an evacuated building unless told to do so by a University safety official.