If a serious injury or illness occurs on campus:
1. Immediately call Public Safety. Give your name, and describe the nature and severity of the medical problem and the campus location of the victim. Do not hang up until told to do so.
2. In case of minor injury or illness, provide first aid care. NOTE: Only trained individuals should provide first aid treatment (i.e. First Aid, CPR or AED).
3. In the case of serious injury or illness, properly trained personnel should quickly perform the following steps:
- Keep the victim still and comfortable. DO NOT MOVE THE VICTIM.
- Ask the victim, “Are you okay?” and “What is wrong?”
- Check breathing and give artificial respiration if necessary.
- Control serious bleeding.
- Continue to assist the victim until help arrives.
- Look for emergency medical ID, question any witnesses and give all information to the paramedics.
4. Departments may have a person trained in First Aid, CPR or AED. Training is available through the Department of Environmental Health and Safety.