Utility Disruption or Failure
What to do in the event a utility disruption or failure:
- In the event of a minor utility failure occurring during regular working hours, immediately notify Facilities Management at 843-349-2153.
- If there is potential danger to building occupants or if the utility failure occurs after hours, weekends or holidays, notify Public Safety at 843-349-2911. Do not hang up until told to do so.
- If the building evacuation (Fire) alarm is sounded or when told to leave by University officials, walk quickly to the nearest “SAFE EXIT” and ask others to do the same. Assist the disabled in exiting the building.
- Do not return to an evacuated building unless told to do so by a University safety official.
What to do during a specific utility disruption or failure:
- Power/Electrical - Campus building emergency lighting is temporary and may not always provide sufficient illumination in corridors and stairs for safe exiting. It is, therefore, advisable to have your own flashlight and portable radios available for emergencies.
- Water/Plumbing - Cease all operations. Do not switch on any lights or any electrical equipment. Notify Public Safety at 843-349-2911.
- Steam Line - Immediately notify Public Safety at 843-349-2911 and, if necessary, vacate the area.
- Natural Gas / Fumes / Vapors - Immediately notify Public Safety at 843-349-2911 and provide the location of the area and vacate the area.
- Ventilation - If smoke odors come from the ventilation system, immediately activate the building evacuation (fire) alarm, notify Public Safety at 843-349-2911 and vacate the area.