Information for Future Honors Students
What is Honors?
The HTC Honors College at Coastal Carolina University is a community of students and faculty who share an intellectual curiosity and a motivation to go beyond the normal curriculum. As an honors student, you will get to experience the smaller courses and high levels of faculty-student interaction that you expect to find at a smaller college combined with the opportunities and resources available at a large university. The honors courses you take will be interdisciplinary and emphasize collaborative learning. You will have access to a dedicated honors residence hall and priority registration. The HTC Scholars Program will provide you with support for honors research and for study abroad. Under the guidance of a faculty mentor, you will complete an Honors Thesis/Project/Portfolio, either in your major or in a subject of your choosing. The Honors College will be your home as you grow intellectually, seek challenges, cultivate collaborative opportunities, break boundaries and expand your possibilities.
Honors students are eligible for a variety of benefits, including:
- Early Registration for Courses
- A dedicated Honors First-Year Residence Hall
- Small seminar Honors-only Core Curriculum classes
- Interdiciplinary Honors upper level seminars
- HTC Scholars funding for
- Honors projects and research
- Travel to conferences to present scholarship
- Study abroad stipends
- Honors Social and Cultural Events
- Dedicated Honors advising
Prospective 1st year students:
- If you want to apply to the Honors College, you should indicate that when asked on regular CCU online application. You will then be prompted to fill out the Honors College section of the application. This consists of a short essay to be reviewed by the Honors College staff.
- Students who are accepted into the College will be notified by letter after acceptance to University.
- If you have already applied to CCU, but missed applying to the Honors College, please contact the Honors Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) for instructions on how to submit your Honors College essay as a supplement to your CCU application.
- We welcome transfer students into honors at Coastal. Contact the Honors Office (email@example.com) to discuss your individual situation and to apply to the program.
- A cumulative college GPA of at least 3.7 is expected.
- Transfer students should expect to submit a letter of recommendation from a teacher.
- We accept transferred honors credit from other Universities. The Director of Honors will review your transcript.
- Each Fall semester, the Honors Office will issue a call for applications for current first-year students to apply to the honors college for Spring semester.
- The call for applications will go out to well-qualified first-year students after mid-terms, and applications will be due shortly after Thanksgiving.
Honors students are required to complete a minumum of 24 credits of honors coursework, including certain Honors-student-only courses and a Thesis project. A detailed explanation and a suggested Honors course schedule are available on the page.
First-Year Honors Student Housing
First-year Honors students who live on-campus should live in the Honors Residence Hall. For more information and exceptions, please see the Honors Housing page.