Scholarships for Critical Languages
A critical language in the U.S. context refers to a language important to the country’s national security and economic prosperity, including Arabic, Chinese, Russian, Turkish. These languages are less commonly taught and studied and therefore, the demand for proficient speakers exceeds supply. Studying a critical language opens up unique travel and career opportunities. There are also tons of scholarship and internship opportunities for critical language learners. At CCU, you can take classes in Arabic, Mandarin Chinese, and Russian. Check out the requirements and course offerings for our minor in Chinese Studies.
What is a Critical Language and Why Study One?
Scholarship Opportunities for Critical Languages
1. The Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) Program
2. The Critical Language Scholarship Spark (virtual)
3. The MOE Huayu Enrichment Scholarship Program (for Mandarin)
4. Boren Awards
5. Critical Need Language Award:
6. Luce Scholars Program
7. NSLI For Youth Scholarship (for high school students)
Interested in applying for a scholarship? Visit Office of National Scholarships at CCU: https://www.coastal.edu/honorscollege/officeofnationalscholarships/