Sponsored program funding comes from a variety of sources. External sponsors can include federal and state government agencies, county and city municipalities, foundations or other non-profit organizations. Sponsors issue various types of solicitations designed to announce the availability of funding to support research, scholarly activities, public service, instruction or community/student services. In addition, there are internal sponsors, such as the Provost’s Office or the Office of Research, which also provide funding opportunities for faculty and staff projects. This page links to information on funding through federal and state agencies and other external and internal funding sources, as well as funding databases and publications that can assist with finding a funding opportunity to match a need.
To request that the OSPRS assist with finding funding opportunities to support your research, creative, instructional or service project, please submit a Funding Search Request.
Funding Search Tips
- Identify and use keywords instead of full sentences/descriptions.
- Know what type of funding you are looking for—sabbatical funding, summer pay, student support, supplies, travel, publication, etc. This can help you define your search parameters.
- Make sure you are eligible for the funding. Ask the OSPRS if you are unsure.
- Sign-up for professional emails and listservs that distribute notifications of funding opportunities.
Once you’ve found a funding source, please complete an OSPRS Notice of Intent to Submit a Funding Proposal form. We will review the sponsor guidelines to determine our eligibility, in addition to assisting with the development of the proposal, preparation of the budget and organizing other frequently required documents related to a grant proposal.
The following sources are log-in accessible using the Coastal network on campus or through VPN access.
Sponsored Programs Information Network (SPIN): InfoEd SPIN is a database of funding opportunities from government and private sources.
The Grant Advisor Plus (Current Postings): provides hyperlinks to grant announcements based on the submission deadline.
The Grant Advisor Plus (Useful Links): over 200 links to various funding sources.
Access the individual agencies listed below or go to Grants.gov as the single access point to grant programs offered by all 26 federal agencies.
- Department of Agriculture (USDA)
- Department of Commerce (DOC)
- Department of Defense (DOD)
- Department of Education (USED)
- Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)
- Department of Justice (DOJ)
- Department of Labor(DOL)
- Department of State(DOS)
- National Parks Service (NPS)
- US Forest Service (USFS)
- US Geological Survey (USGS)
For assistance or questions regarding a federal funding opportunity, please contact the OSPRS.
For assistance or questions regarding a state funding opportunity, please contact the OSPRS.
For assistance or questions regarding a private funding opportunity, please contact the OSPRS.
CCU Funding Opportunities (through the Provost’s Office)
If you would like assistance with finding a funding opportunity to support your research or other scholarly activity, please contact the OSPRS.