FAQs - Coastal Carolina University
In This Section

Student Advocacy and Intervention

FAQs for Students

Can the Dean of Students Office excuse my absences?

Answer: No. Documentation requirements, decisions about whether or not absences will be excused, in addition to options for extensions or make-up work, are left to the discretion of your faculty in accordance with the Class Attendance Policy. Please discuss your attendance with your professors to determine what type of documentation they require.

I think I may be failing some of my courses. Can SEA help?

Answer: Yes. Our office can partner with you to create a plan for academic success. Please contact SEA for assistance.

How do I withdraw from a class?

Answer: If you choose to withdraw from a class before the academic penalty deadline, you may do so on WebAdvisor. You may also contact your academic advisor for assistance. Please consult the Academic Calendar for important deadlines.

I am experiencing a medical/psychological emergency. How do I withdraw for the semester?

Answer: You may be eligible for a full or partial Medical/Psychological Withdrawal, which would result in grades of “W” on your transcript, and would not negatively affect your GPA. Please contact SEA for assistance.  

What should I do if I am faced with a medical or family emergency that prevents me from attending class?

Answer: Please communicate directly with your professors if you are able to do so. In the event that you need to leave campus unexpectedly due to an emergency, you may request a Student Emergency Notification, which is a courtesy notice distributed by the Dean of Students Office informing faculty of an expected period of absence. The decision to classify this absence as excused is at the discretion of each individual faculty member. You are expected to work directly with your professors to address any missed class work.

I am experiencing an unforeseen financial hardship. Can SEA help?

Answer: SEA is happy to meet with you to discuss your concerns. You can also review information about Student Benevolence Funds to see if you may qualify for financial assistance.

I am experiencing homelessness and/or food insecurity. Are there resources on campus that can help?

Answer: Yes; there are resources both on and off campus that can help, including the CINO Pantry and emergency housing options. Please contact SEA for more information.

I am unable to complete my final exam at the scheduled time. What should I do?

Answer: Please communicate with your professor to determine if alternate arrangements or extensions are possible. If you and your professor are unable to come up with a solution, the department chair may be able to assist.

What should I do if I am having a conflict with a professor, or feel that I have been unfairly graded? Should I stop going to class because of this conflict?

Answer: Please continue going to class, and try to discuss your concerns directly with your professor. If you and your professor are unable to come to an understanding, your next step would be to consult with the department chair, per the Student Complaint Guidelines.

I am experiencing an emergency and do not know if I will be able to complete the remaining assignments for my courses. What are my options?

Answer: Students may request grades of “Incomplete” from faculty. Incompletes allow students to finish the remaining work in a course at a later date due to an extenuating circumstance. Grades of Incomplete are granted at the discretion of faculty, and typically work best when the student is in good academic standing in the course and few assignments remain. Withdrawal may also be an option. Please contact SEA for assistance.

Contact Student Advocacy and Intervention

To contact Student Advocacy and Intervention, contact the Dean of Students Office at 843-349-4161 or email sea@coastal.edu.

For more information about Student Advocacy and Intervention, please visit www.coastal.edu/SEA.



Student Advocacy and Intervention is not therapy. The laws that apply to a confidential therapeutic relationship do not apply to all helping relationships. There may be instances when information needs to be shared with other campus partners to ensure the safety of the campus community. While confidentiality cannot be guaranteed, information will only be shared strictly on a need-to-know basis.

For effective coordination of services, you may be asked to sign a release of information.