Notice of Wireless Certificate Renewal
- eduroam - students
- eduroam - fac/staff/other users
- eduroam wireless is used on CCU's main campus and at eduroam participating institutions
CCU’s eduroam wireless service (for the main campus wireless network) uses a digital certificate, safeconnect.coastal.edu, for secure user authentication. ITS updates the existing digital certificate to a new certificate annually. ITS will renew this certificate on Monday, Dec. 18, 2023, at 8 a.m.
For new users
For new employees, new students, new volunteers, etc., visit the eduroam instruction sites for students or faculty/staff/other users to learn how to connect to eduroam for wireless when you are on the main campus. If this is your first time connecting to eduroam and you connect after 8 a.m. on Dec. 18, 2023, you will connect to the new wireless certificate and do not need to take any further action.
For returning campus users - the old wireless certificate officially expires on Friday, Dec. 22, 2023, and you may need to take action
- If you set up a new eduroam wireless connection on your device(s) after 8 a.m. on Monday, Dec. 18, 2023, you do not need to take any further action.
- If you set up your eduroam connection before Monday, Dec. 18, 2023, at 8 a.m., the old certificate may continue to work for your device(s) until its expiration on Dec. 22, 2023, and you do need to take action to ensure connectivity.
- After Friday, Dec. 22, 2023, wireless connections using the old certificate will be prompted to update to the new certificate when on the main campus, or at another participating eduroam institution. If you are not prompted, you may potentially experience wireless connection issues.
- To avoid wireless connection issues, you may do the following when on the main campus:
- Remove/forget the eduroam wireless connection on your device(s). If you are using the eduroam CAT application on your device(s), remove the current eduroam profile from the eduroam CAT application.
- Follow the eduroam instructions for students or faculty/staff/other users to learn how to reconnect to eduroam wireless while on the main campus anytime after Dec. 18, 2023.
Additional guidance for returning campus users
The process for verifying and accepting the new certificate varies by device and the operating system installed on the device. ITS and SCS are available if you have questions about the validity of the certificate or how to accept it successfully on your device(s).
Accepting the new certificate after Friday, Dec. 22, 2023
If you are prompted to accept a new certificate, what does this prompt mean? Should you accept it?
- You should always understand what a prompt on your device is asking you to do before accepting. In this case, by accepting the certificate, you are renewing part of the credentials that keep you secure and connected to eduroam.
- If you receive a prompt on your connected devices asking you to verify and accept the safeconnect.coastal.edu certificate for eduroam wireless, please verify and accept the certificate to continue a secure wireless connection to the internet at CCU.
- If your device does not prompt you to accept the new certificate and is no longer connected to eduroam wireless, please forget, and re-connect to eduroam on your device according to the eduroam instructions provided: for students or faculty/staff/other users. If you use the eduroam CAT tool, you may need to remove the current profile installed in the CAT tool and re-install the Coastal Carolina University profile as you follow the instructions.