Student Complaints - Coastal Carolina University
In This Section

Student Complaint Guidelines

Students who wish to resolve a concern about an issue covered in an existing University policy should consult the following chart:

Academic Integrity Academic Integrity Officer
Website »

Accessibility and Disability Services

Accessibility and Disability Services
Kearns Hall 106
Website »

Admission/Readmission Procedures

Admissions and Merit Awards
Baxley Hall
Website »

Complaints Against Another Student

Dean of Students Office
Indigo Hall
Website »


University Policies
Website »
University Discrimination and Equal Employment Opportunity UNIV-HREO 476

Financial Aid and Scholarships

Financial Aid and Scholarships
Baxley Hall
Website »

Grade Changes

University Catalogs
Website »

Graduate Studies

College of Graduate Studies and Research
Baxley Hall
Website »

Release of Student Records

Office of the Registrar
Baxley Hall
Website »

Sexual Assault/Sexual Violence

University Policies
Website »
Sexual Assault/Violence UNIV-465

Sexual Harassment

University Policies
Website »
Sexual Harassment UNIV-467

Student Accounts/Billing

Office of Student Accounts
Baxley Hall
Website »

Traffic and Parking

Department of Public Safety
255 University Blvd.
Non-emergency line: 843-349-2177
Emergency line: 843-349-2911
Tip line (text and voicemail): 843-349-TIPS (8477)
Website »

University Housing

University Housing
Tradition Hall
Website »

Maintenance Request Website »

Township Circle Desk
Open 24/7

Elvington Loop Desk
Open 24/7

University Place Desk
Open 24/7


Complaint Guidelines - Other

Students who wish to resolve an issue with a person or process of the University community not covered by existing policies noted in the chart above should use the following pathways: 

Step One: Informal Resolution

Coastal Carolina University’s objective is to resolve complaints as quickly and efficiently as possible at the level closest to the student. Initially, the student considering submitting a complaint should attempt to resolve the concern directly and with the appropriate faculty/staff member in a conference within ten (10) working days of the incident. The faculty/staff member will make an effort to resolve the issue equitably and informally.

Step Two: Formal Resolution

If the response at the informal level was not satisfactory, the student may notify the next level of University administration identified in the pathways (as noted below). The student can continue through the pathways if responses continue to be unsatisfactory. However, the decision of the Provost/Senior Vice President/Vice President is final.

Students must submit their initial formal written complaint within five (5) working days of the informal meeting. The University official will acknowledge receipt of the complaint and respond to the student in writing within five (5) working days of receipt of the complaint. Subsequent appeals to higher levels in the pathways identified below will follow the same time limits (e.g., if a response at the previous level was not satisfactory, the student must notify the next level of University administration in writing within five (5) working days, and the administrator will respond in writing within five (5) working days).

Pathways for Non-Academic Complaints

Students should follow the pathway below in seeking a resolution to a non-academic complaint:

  1. Employee(s) identified in the complaint
  2. Direct supervisor of the employee(s)
  3. Department director as appropriate
  4. Assistant/Associate Vice President or Vice President as appropriate
  5. Vice President/Senior Vice President as appropriate

Pathways for Academic Complaints

Students should follow the pathway below in seeking a resolution to an academic complaint:

  1. Faculty member(s) identified in the complaint
  2. Department Chair
  3. Dean of the Academic College
  4. Provost

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)