ILRC Mission Statement
The Intercultural Language Resource Center (ILRC) is an experiential initiative funded at 50% by a grant from the US Department of Education’s Undergraduate International Studies and Foreign Language Program (UISFL).
The purpose of the ILRC is to promote the study of languages in an interdisciplinary context, with a focus on four student-centered goals and one curriculum-centered goal.
The student-centered goals include increasing significantly the number of CCU students who:
- enroll in international area studies programs
- complete a minimum of four semesters of study of a critical language
- apply for and are awarded major national scholarships such as the Critical Language Scholarship, Boren Awards, Gilman Scholarships, and Fulbright Language Teaching Assistantships
- demonstrate advanced proficiency in at least two skill areas (reading, writing, listening, and speaking) in a modern foreign language.
The ILRC’s curricular goal is to increase the number of interdisciplinary courses that include both a modern foreign language and international area studies component.
In pursuit of these goals, the center will fulfill the following obligations:
- foster collaboration on curriculum development across departments
- curate resources related to language and culture learning, including online resources
- explore, develop, and promote new study abroad opportunities with a language-learning component
- disseminate information on competitive national scholarships and fellowships related to language learning and study abroad, e.g. Critical Language Scholars, Fulbright Awards, Boren Awards, and Gilman Scholarships
- organize co-curricular and extracurricular programming that will enhance students’ engagement with global languages and cultures in an interdisciplinary environment
- offer tutoring and guidance to language learners, including strategies for improvement in targeted skill areas
UISFL Grant Key Personnel:
LIS Department Faculty Liaisons to the ILRC:
Dr. Nataliya Alekseyenko (Russian)
Dr. Melanie Giraud (French)
Dr. Arianna Fognani (Italian)
Barbara Gasquet (Spanish)
Sahar Ghattas (Arabic)
Dr. Alex Hogue (German)
Dr. Xinyi Tan (Chinese)