Master of Arts in Writing
Write by the Beach
Our Master of Arts in Writing provides project-based learning supported by an academic press, an acclaimed literary journal, and opportunities to teach college composition classes.
The Master of Arts in Writing is a 33-credit-hour program that offers courses in creative writing, composition and rhetoric, professional writing, literature, and linguistics.
- Application Deadline:
- Apply Now
- Request Information
A Diverse, Flexible Curriculum
Students in Coastal Carolina's M.A. in Writing program take:
- Two core courses selected from options in editing and publishing, forms of creative writing, and composition and rhetoric;
- Three workshops selected from options in creative nonfiction, fiction, poetry, professional and technical writing, and composition and rhetoric;
- Two courses in literature and/or linguistics;
- Three elective courses that may include additional workshops in creative writing;
- Three hours of portfolio research.
The curriculum’s diversity and flexibility allow students to study extensively in one genre (creative writing, composition, or professional and technical writing) while also broadening their educational range through coursework in additional genres. The curriculum is designed to prepare students for a range of professional opportunities after school or for continued study in M.F.A. or Ph.D. programs.
The program offers a wide range of opportunities for students to gain experience in writing, editing, and teaching in professional contexts. An on-campus literary journal and available graduate assistantships in teaching and research make the MAW program a professional training arena for writers and scholars.
Find out more in Beyond the Classroom »
Late Application Deadline
Students may also begin the program in either the fall or spring semester, and Coastal Carolina has an exceptionally late application deadline for admissions. Prospective students may submit an application as late as May 1 (for fall admission) and November 15 (for spring admission).