The Center for Global Engagement works with academic departments to identify how targeted education abroad and other on-/off-campus experiences serve faculty and students by building skills and leveraging increased resource support.
Aas a part of their undergraduate education, CCU students are expected to advance their knowledge of world languages, cultures and social structures. This advancement occurs by way of the Core Curriculum coursework in foreign languages and global awareness studies.
Beyond the Core Curriculum requirements, many academic programs have already incorporated education abroad and other global experiences into students' degree requirements. Examples include:
- Physical Theatre – Students spend a full year studying abroad as part of a specialized internship at the Accademia dell’Arte in Arezzo, Italy.
- Marine Science – Students can choose to complete degree requirements abroad through several short-term faculty-led program options, which travel annually to the Bahamas, Jamaica, Scotland and Costa Rica. Students can also complete degree requirements abroad through semester and year-long programs near the Great Barrier Reef with James Cook University, in Southern Australia with Deakin University or in the Galapagos Islands in Ecuador with Universidad San Francisco de Quito.
- Management (International Management Concentration) – Students can choose to complete degree requirements abroad through several short-term faculty-led program options, which have traveled to China and several countries in Europe. Students can also complete degree requirements abroad through semester and year-long programs with our partners in Spain, France, Germany, China, Australia, Italy and Ecuador.
- Political Science and Intelligence and National Security Studies – Students can choose to complete degree requirements abroad through short-term faculty-led program options, which have traveled to countries such as Ghana, Greece and Cyprus. Students can also focus on Russian and Central Asian studies in Kazakhstan with Narxoz University, international politics in the U.K. with the University of Exeter and many other programs with partners in Australia, South Africa, and more.
- Master of Business Administration – Students can participate in an innovative 1+1 double degree program with the Hochschule Mainz (Germany) to receive both the M.B.A. from CCU and the Master of Arts in International Business.
- The Center for Global Engagement will continue collaborating with faculty and staff to expand CCU's curricula such that 40% of all academic majors embed elements of internationalization by 2018.
- In support of CCU's 2016-21 Strategic Plan, the Center for Global Engagement will also continue working to double the number of CCU students participating in education abroad by 2018-2019. We will achieve this goal by removing barriers and increasing access to a diverse portfolio of academically exceptiona and affordable options to include short-term faculty-led programs, semester and year-long programs with exchange partners and third-party providers plus international internships. Please visit the Education Abroad website for more information.
A broad range of minors and certificate programs through multiple colleges and departments also support enhanced global awareness, more finely developed cross-cultural skills, and in some cases, advanced foreign language proficiency.
- Political Science (Global Politics Concentration)
- African Diaspora Studies Minor
- Global Studies (tracks available in Asian Studies, Latin American Studies, Middle Eastern Studies, African Studies, European Studies, International Political Economy or Global Culture)
- International Business Minor
- Peace and Conflict Studies Minor (coming soon)
- American Studies Certificate
- Cultural Heritage Studies Certificate
- Certificate in Sustainability
- Graduate Certificate in English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)