Recycling at Coastal
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Recycling is the cornerstone of sustainability at Coastal Carolina University. CCU takes recycling seriously and provides multiple opportunities to recycle throughout campus, in the residence halls and at on-campus events. Recycling continues to grow with the campus and departments are making strides to recycle more and take steps to reduce environmental impacts.
WHAT can I recycle?
- Mixed Paper (newspaper, magazines, paper (shredded paper must be in clear bags), junk mail, catalogs, phone books, text books)
- Cardboard (corrugated cardboard, pizza boxes, snack boxes, cereal boxes)
- Plastic Bottles and Jugs (leave lids on)
- Metal and Aluminum Cans
- Glass Bottles and Jars
- Empty Ink Cartridges (all sizes, brands, including toners)
- Used Batteries (alkaline, lead-acid)
- Techno Trash (used ink cartridges, computers, computer parts and accessories, cell phones, CDs, floppy disks, VHS tapes)
- Plastic Bag and Film (Lib Jackson Student Union and select department locations only)
- Pizza Boxes (HTC Center only)
- Tennis Shoes (HTC Center only)
- Aerosol Cans (select department locations only)
HOW to get a recycling bin
Students can pick up a free teal recycling bin from CHANT411 in the Lib Jackson Student Union or Campus Recreation in the HTC Center. You can also request a bin by emailing email@example.com.
Staff and faculty may get a free teal recycling after attending the "Teal Goes Green" training or by trading in their office trash can.
WHERE can I recycle in academic and administrative buildings?
All of our campus buildings have recycling systems. The most common locations include lobbies, hallways, breakrooms, and copy/mail rooms. Outside of the buildings, we offer recycling along sidewalks, at the entrances to buildings and at all the main campus bus stops. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org, if you can't find a recycling location.
WHERE can I recycle on main campus and in University Place? Nine (9) locations available!
- Main Campus - large teal recycling container, located between Ingle Hall and the Woods, near the basketball court and Walk2Campus bridge
- East Campus - large teal recycling container, located at the Coastal Science Center, across from the tennis complex
- Gardens - teal recycyling dumpster, next to the trash dumpster
- The Woods - teal recycling dumpster, next to the trash dumpsters
- Tradition Hall - teal recycling dumpster, next to the trash dumpsters
- Chanticleer Hall - teal recycling dumpster, next to the trash dumpsters
- CINO Hall - teal recycling dumpster, next to the trash dumpsters
- Teal Hall - teal recycling dumpster, next to the trash dumpsters
- University Place (Piedmont) - large, teal recycling container, located near the dumpsters in the parking lot
- University Place (Sandhills) - teal recycling dumpster, next to the trash dumpster
- University Place (Grand Strand 108) - green roll carts
- University Place (Low Country 208) - green roll carts
Recycling Amounts (total tonnage for all commodities, including C&D debris):
- 2010-2011: 195 tons
- 2011-2012: 492 tons
- 2012-2013: 1,309 tons
- 2013-2014: 540 tons
- 2014-2015: 2,086 tons
- 2015-2016: 1,281 tons
- 2016-2017: 472 tons
Email email@example.com for all your recycling and waste reduction needs at Coastal Carolina University.
For special requests for recycling, such as on-campus events, staff and faculty clean-outs, please complete a Facilities Work Request.