Recycling at Coastal
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Recycling is the cornerstone of sustainability at Coastal Carolina University. CCU takes recycling seriously and provides multiple opportunities to recycle throughout campus, in the residence halls and at on-campus events. Recycling continues to grow with the campus and departments are making strides to recycle more and take steps to reduce environmental impacts.
WHAT can I recycle?
- Mixed Paper (newspaper, magazines, paper (shredded paper must be in clear bags), junk mail, catalogs, phone books, text books)
- Cardboard (corrugated cardboard,snack boxes, cereal boxes)
- Plastic Bottles and Jugs (leave lids on)
- Metal and Aluminum Cans
- Glass Bottles and Jars
- Empty Ink Cartridges (all sizes, brands)
- Used Batteries (alkaline, lead-acid)
- Techno Trash (used ink cartridges, computers, computer parts and accessories, cell phones, CDs, floppy disks, VHS tapes)
- Plastic Bag and Film (Lib Jackson Student Union and select department locations only)
- Pizza Boxes (HTC Center only)
- Tennis Shoes (HTC Center only)
- Aerosol Cans (select department locations only)
HOW to get a recycling bin
Students can pick up a free teal recycling bin from CHANT411 in the Lib Jackson Student Union. You can also request a bin by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHERE can I recycle in academic and administrative buildings?
All of our campus buildings have recycling systems. The most common locations include lobbies, hallways, breakrooms, and copy/mail rooms. Outside of the buildings, we offer recycling along sidewalks, at the entrances to buildings and at all the main campus bus stops. Please email email@example.com, if you can't find a recycling location.
WHERE can I recycle on main campus and in University Place? Fourteen (14) locations available!
- East Campus - large green recycling container, located at the Coastal Science Center, across from the tennis complex
- Gardens - green recycyling container, next to the trash dumpster
- The Woods - green recycling container, next to the trash dumpsters
- Tradition Hall - green recycling container next to the trash dumpsters
- Chanticleer Hall - green recycling container next to the trash dumpsters
- Pat Singleton-Young Hall - green recycling container, next to the trash dumpsters
- Teal Hall - green recycling container, next to the trash dumpsters
- University Place (Piedmont- close to 1085 and 1065) - green recycling container, located next to the trash dumpster
- University Place (Sandhills- close to to 130 and 138) - green recycling container, next to the trash dumpster
- University Place (Blue Ridge- close to 1015 and 995) - green recycling container, next to the trash dumpster
- University Place (Low Country- close to 228) - green recycling container, next to the trash dumpster
Recycling Amounts (total tonnage for all commodities, including C&D debris):
- 2010-2011: 195 tons
- 2011-2012: 492 tons
- 2012-2013: 1,309 tons
- 2013-2014: 540 tons
- 2014-2015: 2,086 tons
- 2015-2016: 1,281 tons
- 2016-2017: 472 tons
- 2017-2018: 544 tons
- 2018-2019: 571 tons
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for all your recycling and waste reduction needs at Coastal Carolina University.
For special requests for recycling, such as on-campus events, staff and faculty clean-outs, please complete a Facilities Work Request.